Recent Topics

Ads

Is Return of Reckoning legal?

Let's talk about... everything else
Armorian

Post#1 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:39 pm

Hello,

I am wondering if Return to Reckoning is legal. I know that private servers for other games go against the terms and conditions and are illegal, but is this one legal and safe. I would assume so since the original game had shut down a while back. I still want to get assurance so that way I can start playing this game. I have had many good memories with this and would like to play again with my family and friends.

Thanks,
Armorian

Ads
DanielWinner

Re: Is Return of Reckoning legal?

Post#2 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:42 pm

...FBI will find you if you play on this server...

It’s pretty legal or at least it doesn’t go against any company’s rights because no one earns money here. It’s a voluntary project.
Ripliel - Shadow Warrior.
Riphael - Black Guard.

Very Serious Warhammer Online Montage
Spoiler:
Gotcha

Mystry
Suspended

Post#3 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:53 pm

Short answer: Yes

Eathisword

Post#4 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:52 pm

Legal or not: If Gameworkshop or EA wanted this shut down it would shutdown.

That being said, we are 5 years in and nothing happenend. And as far as we know, both EA and GW are aware of this project.
Farfadet, RR72 shaman
Volgograd, RR80 IB
Video thread here.

Aerogath
Suspended

Post#5 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:08 pm

The licence of Warhammer is gone, thats why every stupid **** shitty garbade dumbass idiot on this planet makes his own Warhammer game lately and why most of them are pure crab.....

And is ROR "illegal" ? Who cares, EA would only shut it down if they could gain money out of it, even if they would come with a threat that would cost them money and EA is Hitler of the gaming industry.

szejoza

Post#6 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:57 pm

License is far from being gone. EA/Mythic license to make a game out of it expired but all the rights to trademarks/names are still in GW hands.
Tons of games being released is just a way GW is making money, give the IP rights to others and get money out of it without doing much themselves (whole AoS crap can be summed up as a way to grab more rights/cash on names and stuff as GW was unable to get full rights on names like 'dwarfs' or 'elves')

The server (or even more website) is in a quite grey area. Website is generating some revenue from adverts but not from directly using the game itself. From time to time we can see some stuff from the game on main website but is it using the GW and Warhammer characters to generate the income? It all depends how one would interpret that
Spoiler:

Yaliskah
Former Staff

Post#7 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:08 pm

Ror as any private server is in a grey area yes.

In one hand, this game doesn't exist anymore, and it is a fan project. There is no commercial purpose behind it.

About GW, reading the IP rules, we are trying our best to respect it, in the limit of the project. :
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-EU/In ... rty-Policy