Recent Topics

Ads

What is the point?

Let's talk about... everything else
etonsrawi

What is the point?

Post#1 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:09 pm

I have been casually playing RoR for the last few weeks now. I have played a variety of characters up to the teens. Yesterday I had a significant amount of time to play. I made a new Zealot (chaos healer, I think that is what they are called) and played a good amount of scenarios and RvR in tier 1. While I am still currently enjoying the game, I don't know how much longer I will. -Scenarios are steamrolls. Either we get crushed or we crush them. There doesn't seem to be much variety in the gameplay between the different scenarios either. They each seem to be equivalent. -RvR was slow and once again a steamroll. One side or the other would just dominate and sit outside the opposite faction's spawn while they slowly collected supplies to "win". Not really sure if winning is a thing. Also even after one side is absolutely dominating, it seems to take forever for the faction to win with no indication of how much progress they have made. -Questing is very basic. The public quests can be interesting, but that seems very dependent on others being there and there being a challenge. You also seem to out level your quests really fast. Not necessarily a bad thing, but it is not clear if I should jump ahead or if that is appropriate or what. -i haven't yet done any dungeons. In other MMOs this was my favorite aspect, though I am a little intimidated. Also from what I have read and seen, the game seems more focused on PvP than PvE.

I know that I have pretty much only done tier 1 stuff and I am sure it gets a lot better beyond that. Partially, I am a little intimidated by it all. There seems to be "right" things to do, but I don't know what they are. I haven't been very impressed with what I have been able to do so far. Am I missing something? Any resources or advice that would help give me direction and help me understand some of the systems in the game?

Ads
DirkDaring

Re: What is the point?

Post#2 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:39 pm

A lot of the questons you have can be found in this section Beginner Survival Kit, it is on the same page you found the General section, but right above it that explains a lot. Here`s a link to it. viewforum.php?f=113

There is also another link but on the main forum page, at the very top Titled Wiki that will post all info on PQ, Armor, Dungeons, Lairs , crafting etc.

https://wiki.returnofreckoning.com/Main_Page

bittrio

Post#3 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:56 pm

Yea I'm a new returning player myself and have a similar experience.

I think part of the fun is to keep rolling new tier 1 toons while you level a few toons up to max level.

I have a level 24 and scenarios are usually steamrolls still.

Dungeons would or at least seem like they would be fun, I enjoyed that in WOW myself, but no one plays them here. I've been pinging in LFG for a SAC run last few days, nothing.

Probably one of the best things we can do is join a guild/make friends. Sucks the Discord requires you to verify w/ phone or I'd be in there. Although that seems to be low participation even. Look at the announcements, only about 9 people react... very low interaction.

We have these forums which seem pretty good.

It might just be this is a casual game to relive the old school mmo feel.
78 Shaman
45 Chosen
40 Squig Herder
40 Bright Wizard

Digital dollars are free to create.

HammerGuy

Post#4 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:57 pm

Tier 1 is a bummer. Many classes have their strengths exaggerated. Get out of tier 1; at level 16 you go to a new scenario bracket and you can do all tiers of RvR. You'll be bolstered to help with the gear and skills that you'll lack.

The class you like to play can make a huge difference in this game too. Besides the obvious subjectivity of what constitutes fun, some classes require support to be fun.

I recommend playing a tank because punting someone off a ledge is fun and in this game the tank actually has useful things to do (guard, taunt, aoe challenge, punt, buffs, and debuffs).

Fallenkezef

Post#5 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:40 pm

It was worse i live with the twinks making T1 hell.

I'm a returning player myself going through the T1 grind. Alternating between slayer and IB because I honestly can't decide which I like better. As has been said, some classes are just too good in T1 till the others balance out and get their better tools at higher level.

Stick with the grind.
Alea iacta est

malark

Post#6 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:57 am

The game has a core problem with balance where Order is favored so almost most of the time Order is winning and winning easily
even when Destro gets people together and tries to do something, either a bunch of people switch to Order or a big word goes out and people log on to Order

Yesterday was a prime example where Destro sat in chaos wastes for hours, we built the keep up to 3 stars despite there being a decent Order presence the whole time basically the Order players don't even care and are simply waiting for Destro to siege so they can defend with equal or more numbers and eventually that is what happened

Of course also, when it happened the usual Slayers turn up out of nowhere and our siege failed, we managed to push to the inner door, but of course, who really cares right ? it's really just more kills and bags for Order and at the end of it all it's funny, I was on my healer, and I topped heals despite being alone, no discord, no organisation no anything, and even though my DOK is rr80 he's not wearing a single piece of sovereign

There is a core group of players loyal to Order that absolutely ride core imbalance problems with the game (one main example rampage) and they always make sure when it counts they're playing their Order character. It's not good for the game. In my opinion the developers do the game a disservice by never addressing this core problem that is BEYOND OBVIOUS.
Last edited by malark on Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tanski

Post#7 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:08 am

Give kits earlier or just get rid of t1 :D

How many players are lost in NA cause t1 is literally completely dead?
75+ BG
80 Choppa/slyer
80 wl
70 + sm
70 bw/sorc
80 wh, we
60 sham/am

Avernus

Post#8 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:41 am

malark wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:57 am There is a core group of players loyal to Order that absolutely ride core imbalance problems with the game (one main example rampage) and they always make sure when it counts they're playing their Order character. It's not good for the game. In my opinion the developers do the game a disservice by never addressing this core problem that is BEYOND OBVIOUS.
Yeah sure, and all destro characters are totally balanced, unlike some order OP classes. Slayer constantly spam his aoe to pull you to the zerg and WL can pull you even from the keep walls. Oh, wait a minute...

Ads
Martok

Post#9 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:49 am

Tier 1 is for testing classes to identify one you wish to proceed with. It doesn't take long to level out of T 1 and get into broader combat.

The tier 2/3 scenarios tend to be more balanced as the class levels are restricted to sub-40's. Stick with it and have some fun.
Blame It On My ADD Baby...

rejndjer
Suspended

Post#10 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:09 am

honestly t1 doesnt tell you much about your class. and when you hit t2/3 worst thing you could do would be to play scenarios and ignore rvr.