Recent Topics

Ads

Number of players

Let's talk about... everything else
Farrul

Re: Number of players

Post#21 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 6:40 am

Tanski wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:49 am People can blame devs all they want, I think they have actually done a great job with what they are working with. The game has many intrinsic issues and flawed game design, people just get tired of the bs. The community is extremely toxic and egotistical even though it is an easy game, so much needless drama 24/7.
I agree we should appreciate the devs work and some stuff (events) have been great lately , however what players most seems to care about is class-balance, and this has been stagnated for a long time which is bad for player retention(especially since the meta never changes and some classes are just suffering, e.g shadow warriors whilst other remain broken OP , slayers, shamans etc in different contexts, this make people quit once they realize nothing is changing).

The fun nerfing of some classes like the Knights of the blazing sun into a pure support role hitting like a wet noodle are other factors which makes players quit over time, then of course new games are coming and competing for our time, like Diablo IV launch in less than 2 months which is a semi-mmo.

Ads
wonshot

Post#22 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:58 am

One cant ignore the fact how long RoR has been succesfully running, and the reputation the server has on the MMO private server market (currently playing on Eden DaoC freeshard and RoR is almost weekly brought up for comparisons)

That being said, back when Torq was a part of the team he did do a quote like this "We need to stall the content we are shipping because eventually we will run out of Live content and then the draught will happen" very losely quoted from memory.

And that is probably the state RoR has been in, for a while now.
City sieges released and the crown and main reason behind the oRvR campaign was added.
Only for it to be changed and extrated from the campaign, leaving the campaign in a state it was in around Fortress endgame.

New content has been added though, and maybe this is just my personal view but i feel like this didnt hit the mark or was wrongly prioritized.

- Garden of Q. Dueling zone was labled at the time to be the biggest addition and groundbreaking on MMORPG article. But has been abandond in a bugged state for years now. It had the potential for player driven events to hold the server afloat with 6v6 tourneys, Guild vs Guild, and endgame outside of RR/grar.

- Ranked attempt + resurrection attempts.

- Huntervale was never as soughafter as Lost Vale by the community (could be lack of finger on the pulse)

- Roleplay cities are nothing more than glorified questhubs for a communuity which mainly are nostalgic or pvp focused. Yes it might have laid the groundworks for big amazing potential city sieges, but it added close to Zero replay-ability here and now.

- LOTD phase1. This seem forgotten that this is only part1, and the 4 mini tombs, Tovl, colossus worldboss was rumored to be part2. But this content have also seemingly been left as it is

RoR is doing something niece and without doubt have a heavy pull on Nostalgia, amazing core of a pvp mmo with unique features like collision, morales, shared ap bar between classes and fantastic lore and gameworld. But content is what keep the players playing, and there has been a content draught based on how unsuccesful the latest additions have been. And with how stale class balance been for far too long while this super rework is supposedly going to make it easier to do class balancing from coding perspective, but that still doesnt remove the doubt of how Dev-only, Community representive (Peter the pan, Dans) and later on Realm champs 1 & 2 have given RoR a fear of whenever classes are actually getting touched with the balancing hammer then the end product seem to get diminished.

RoR has been amazing, and still is a strong contender on the mmo market keeping up with modern releases and still remains to attract. But there are only so many youtube visitors who can give population bumps before the game needs to be able to keep the playerbase stable internally on its own.

For the past two years or so, it has just felt like there is no vision for the server. Things are added or adjusted as bandaids to keep the ship afloat, but lets see what the situation will look like AFTER the ability overhaul and what is being done with that availability and freed up development time.
Bombling 92BW - Bombthebuilder 82Engi - Bombing 82SL - Bling 81Kobs - Orderling 80WP - Jackinabox 67WH
Gombling 85mSH- Chopling 83Chop - Notbombling 82Sorc - Powerhouse 81Zeal - Goldbag 80Mara - Smurfling 75Sham -Blobling 66BO

tazdingo

Post#23 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:31 am

massive amounts of "dormant" players are just waiting for the ability rework

amputationsaw

Post#24 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:39 pm

i think one of the many reasons why people come and go is because the game still feels kinda unfinished, which it is of course. but so many little mechanics and feature are still not working properly which makes this game unnecessarily inconvenient. for example the item managemant in the inventory/bank, the mail system, the constant getting caught on pixels/textures when you just walk around the world etc. the little things that makes this game a bit less enjoyable because they don't work. i know its alota work to fix 1000 little things and i appreciate every single fix the devs do. its just i thing i had in mind for some time. and i play on this server since release and will still play no matter what

Orgruk

Post#25 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:16 am

wonshot wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:58 am And with how stale class balance been for far too long while this super rework is supposedly going to make it easier to do class balancing from coding perspective, but that still doesnt remove the doubt of how Dev-only, Community representive (Peter the pan, Dans) and later on Realm champs 1 & 2 have given RoR a fear of whenever classes are actually getting touched with the balancing hammer then the end product seem to get diminished.
I keep on thinking that full mirroring could be the solution on this point for both player base and Devs :
- no more complaints about a faction being better than another
- less time wasted on balancing classes
- more time could be invested in content creation or brand new events
My Choppa/Slayer proposals : Better Rage > GTDC replacement > Balance

Fallenkezef

Post#26 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:17 am

Orgruk wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:16 am
wonshot wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:58 am And with how stale class balance been for far too long while this super rework is supposedly going to make it easier to do class balancing from coding perspective, but that still doesnt remove the doubt of how Dev-only, Community representive (Peter the pan, Dans) and later on Realm champs 1 & 2 have given RoR a fear of whenever classes are actually getting touched with the balancing hammer then the end product seem to get diminished.
I keep on thinking that full mirroring could be the solution on this point for both player base and Devs :
- no more complaints about a faction being better than another
- less time wasted on balancing classes
- more time could be invested in content creation or brand new events
I agree, in principle, however it would destroy the lore aspects of the game and wreck the reasons people play.
Alea iacta est

Nameless

Post#27 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:03 am

Full mirroring is impossible cos class mechanics are all over the place (one pet class is mdps other rdps, stance dancing on rdps and mdps and so on).
But beside.that the game will become hollow and uninteresting. For me at least will lose its charm, so I say no to mirroring
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz

penagos22

Post#28 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:31 am

maybe a fresh realm with the last mythic patch.

Ads
Emissary
Community Management

Post#29 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:37 pm

penagos22 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:31 am maybe a fresh realm with the last mythic patch.

Server reset, everyone starts from scratch again? 2 weeks?

Can't wait !!!

T1 Brawls incoming
"Courage, Honor, Loyalty, Sacrifice. You're braver than you think."

Watch me on Twitch!!!

Fallenkezef

Post#30 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:13 pm

Emissary wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:37 pm
penagos22 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:31 am maybe a fresh realm with the last mythic patch.

Server reset, everyone starts from scratch again? 2 weeks?

Can't wait !!!

T1 Brawls incoming
We'd lose more players than we'd gain and destroy the community.
Alea iacta est