Number of players

Let's talk about... everything else
rejndjer
Suspended

Re: Number of players

Post#31 » Thu Apr 13, 2023 5:02 pm

Fallenkezef wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:13 pm
Emissary wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:37 pm
penagos22 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:31 am maybe a fresh realm with the last mythic patch.

Server reset, everyone starts from scratch again? 2 weeks?

Can't wait !!!

T1 Brawls incoming
We'd lose more players than we'd gain and destroy the community.
martyrs square definitely would. it would go to 0 within less than a year. while new server would probably have double the MS's current average population.

Ads
Orgruk

Post#32 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:33 am

penagos22 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:31 am maybe a fresh realm with the last mythic patch.

Can't wait !!!

T1 Brawls incoming
Agreed, I can't see me farming again all these crests and sets I got thanks to the lasts lockdowns we had here. I guess it would be the same for a good bunch of people. :x
My Choppa/Slayer proposals : Better Rage > GTDC replacement > Balance

rejndjer
Suspended

Post#33 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:28 am

while lockdowns were on, there was no crests(at least not in current form). it was easier to grind gear. it's very sad how much harder it is for new players to become competitive now compared to few years ago or on live. ROR is too grindy. couple that with bad mechanic feedback of skill usage and you get what you see. bad retention.

p.s. inb4 someone comes and says "you can only play sc now and get everything". yes im happy for you.

penagos22

Post#34 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:33 am

Can't wait !!!

T1 Brawls incoming
a fresh realm a side of martir square, I wouldn't mind starting over, with the old tactics, the old skills etc etc, I don't know why this selfishness if we all already have our characters rr 80+ with sov.

Pulptenks

Post#35 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:44 am

The game is fine, it's free. I don't think it's a community issue. Yes there some beligeant individuals, but I would not say it's overly toxic. The main issue really is just people should try to tell new players what to play.

I know, crazy. But hear me out, it's just best to let people face the truth that not every classes are best for Warbands or great at. If a player feel like rerolling, they will reroll. And fine their role or guild to play with.

Most games, even many classic games had update to allow "do whatever you want" and most gamers are into that mindset nowdays.

Last, all that could be good is view. I've spoke with friends who never knew this game existed. Some tried it but the retention is difficult. They complained about the PvE a lot because it's a huge part of modern MMO and games in general. Even Guild Wars 2 the modern successor to RvR MMO is full of PvE players and collectors and mount collectors.

So I'd say more view and perhaps reaching out content creators would be good. LazyPeon has done good for this game twice. There are more for sure.

RvR is old school term that games don't employ anymore. The website introduction is nice, don't get me wrong. But game show case would be beneficial, telling people what Warhammer is about. Some basic, like how to travel, how to join RvR, showing where is that WAR report button, what is its purpose, the scenario button, what it is for, what is a scenario. Because this is only game that calls PvP a scenario, every other MMO goes around arena, battleground, colosseum. Usually Scenario is PvE.

New players won't know that stuff. They will try to PvE thinking it's how's they get gear and money to buy a mount. They clueless about warcrest or gear drop from PvP.

The Easter event video was amazing for the established players, well established and clear, made it easy to understand the event. This is the kind of stuff a new player should be greeted with.

The amount of time I saw a MMO tourist on twitch trying this game and playing it wrong or tackling it wrong and complaining there's nobody playing it pretty high. Just give the information, I know it's hand holding but I'm this day and age it's what people need.

Visibility and information! It can be done without giving away every secret.

Stimpz

Post#36 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:07 pm

rejndjer wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:28 am while lockdowns were on, there was no crests(at least not in current form). it was easier to grind gear. it's very sad how much harder it is for new players to become competitive now compared to few years ago or on live. ROR is too grindy. couple that with bad mechanic feedback of skill usage and you get what you see. bad retention.

p.s. inb4 someone comes and says "you can only play sc now and get everything". yes im happy for you.
It was easier to grind gear?
It was never so easy to get your gear as it is now.
You can get your Invader Ward in 4 Days. 4 Days to unlock the potential to get the best gear in the game. If you are lucky, Bloodlord is already a good set to be competitive.
After that, it is really not that long to get Sov.

I, personally, don't miss the old days when you had to play cities at 3 am for a few tokens.

If a new player plays to 40 and grind throw all sets without ever asking anyone or reading any kind of guide, then it's not the system's fault for being too "grindy".
Also, you don't have to farm ~10,000 crests and buy your Sov-set all at once.
You get the feeling of steady progress cause normally you buy like 2 or 3 items and mix them with other sets, or you begin with a few Triumphant/Victorious items, which are really fast to get.

Some people seem to hate playing MMORPGs where leveling, gearing and yes, even a bit grinding is part of the core game.
There is not even a skill-gate in RoR to get your gear.

The new system is good.
If you want to tell a new player how it goes, now you can say,
"Play every class you like in every mode you want. You get Crests for good gear in almost every way you play."

In the old system it was more like
"Yo watch out. If you play a healer you don't get good gear from scenarios, you have to play RvR. The best gear is only available in Cities, but to get there you need at least full Invader, which only comes from Forts. There is also stuff from dungeons, but they have a few days lockout timer, so you have to play 8 weeks (or so) to get your trinket. And don't forget to always watch out for Cities because they are only open if two forts got taken by one faction, which can happen at any time, so if you miss them you don't get your Sov gear at all."... And so on.

I personally think that the new system is very new-player-friendly.
It's easy to learn and the amount of time you need for gear is fair.

Nameless

Post#37 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:34 pm

Imo the problem is that the basic game interface is awefull esp for healers and tanks that are most needed archetypes. So for new players is hard to find, setup and use properly all must have addons. There should be ingame guides for setuping enemy, pure, tether at least
Mostly harmless

K8P & Norn - guild Orz

Fenris78

Post#38 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:42 pm

Basic addons should be integrated like SoR is now :
- Enemy
- Pure
- Guardpack
- Swiftassist
- Cmap
- RVmod
- WarBoard

Otherwise crappy original UI is simply unuseable for new players...

This alone should be of great help to hook players and improve retention rate.

Ads
Orgruk

Post#39 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:06 pm

Fenris78 wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:42 pm This alone should be of great help to hook players and improve retention rate.
And the slow paced combat, GCD should be looked at to give much more energy to the fights like other games have.
Maybe reduce damages and thus compress the gcd with some stats like ws or bs. :?:

Single target damages should also be adressed and be higher than AoE ones.
My Choppa/Slayer proposals : Better Rage > GTDC replacement > Balance

Vaikaris

Post#40 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:42 pm

9/10 players I've gotten into this game give up when they see a bogged down fight where nobody dies or a full stomp where they can't even touch any enemies and just sorta wait for a scenario to end or a zone to be lost. If we're talking "slow paced combat", the problem isn't on the side of damage, it's that healers with skill and proper support can reach ridiculous heights that bog the game down HARD for anyone except your proper 6 man groups and coordinated warbands, where extremely tactical play is enjoyable. Play any other mmo with pvp and you'll realize this sort of bog down where damage stops existing for one side or both is very uncommon outside of high level play - such as high rated arenas.

The main point is that there is no scaling here - you don't have some fun killing stuff and eventually have to face tactical, organized combat. Nope. The entry level for a healer denying the existence of damage is super low and there's nothing separating the casuals from the hardcores.

You might say "oh yeh but this game is great because of the organized, tactical fighting and needing to work in a team to succeed" and I agree, power to that, but then deal with low numbers/declining numbers, sorry. Like it or not, video games are still for the casual player to pop on for some fun and there's nothing fun in entering a fight and doing no damage, no impact, no chance.

So yeh. I recall at the start of the development of this game, philosophy was explained as "no healers at all in pvp", i.e. healing was sometimes a side effect of some chars - buffing for rp/zealot, mdps for dok/wp, rdps for am/shaman. I don't think WAR intended to have healers AND tanks the way they are. And I think that is reinforced by the fact that even though healers and tanks are super impactful and are some of the coolest, most iconic characters, they're still not so many of them.

I personally always come back to ror once every few months/years and I will always quit when I string together a few scenarios/fights against overwhelming premades that just make me realize I've sat there for 3 hours and done no damage, had no impact and basically watched other people do things to me without participating.

You can go the other route and argue tanks - and I'll agree, balance on a tank is that, because defensive tanks exist, to make it a little more fun for htem, they can dish out damage and disrupt you a ton. That an unkillable tank can kill makes unkillable tanks more common and thus less killing.

But I think tanks are WARs special flavor and I like them.

Regardless, I'm just ranting that when you can be disabled from playing for hours, that's the easiest way to lose the majority of players.