Recent Topics

Ads

Swordmaster or Blackguard

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
phoramix87

Swordmaster or Blackguard

Post#1 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:16 pm

I want to main a tank for solo roaming. Help me decide between BG or SM.

Since I will solo most of the time I need to be able to count as many as possible enemies classes like ranged-healers-dps (am, sham) and physical-rdps.

Would be nice to have:
- nice self-sustain (self-healing/bubble)
- nice anti-kiting
- heal debuff
- can face almost every class (or the one that does it at best)

Currently, I have 30+ Chosen 20ish BG, and 15 SM.
- Chosen, it is cool but fails against rdp, especially AM. And there are a lot.
- BO same thing, can kill AM but fail against the kiters.

So now I would ask your opinion in order to decide between BG and SM.
- a little scared about piano-keybindings for BG...
- any counter for SM?

All of this in solo roaming perspective!
thanks

ps. I am not interested in kotbs/ib

Ads
Culexus

Re: Swordmaster or Blackguard

Post#2 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:31 pm

Chosen is the king of the tanks for solo roam. They're like the tank version of WH/WE in that they have everything and do it all well.

If you really want to choose between SM & BG though, I'd say SM. Like Chosen, SM deals spirit damage which means you can go all in on defense while still dealing great damage. All the thanks that deal physical damage have to stack Weapon skill so they don't hit like noodles which takes away from their defensive capabilities.

BG does have one big advantage in that 2h spec will be welcome in warbands where as 2h SM won't.
Bigun - 85 Black Orc
Brian - 70+ Choppa
Taff - 70+ Warrior Priest
Karak Norn Veteran

phoramix87

Post#3 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:51 pm

Culexus wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:31 pm Chosen is the king of the tanks for solo roam. They're like the tank version of WH/WE in that they have everything and do it all well.

If you really want to choose between SM & BG though, I'd say SM. Like Chosen, SM deals spirit damage which means you can go all in on defense while still dealing great damage. All the thanks that deal physical damage have to stack Weapon skill so they don't hit like noodles which takes away from their defensive capabilities.

BG does have one big advantage in that 2h spec will be welcome in warbands where as 2h SM won't.
thanks for the reply.

Anyways Chosen cannot deal with AMs and also any ranged-kiter will perma-kite you down.
Compared to other tank his dmg is fluff that is why you are always scared if a healer dps-healer popup.

SM and BG can deal with that, chosen is just mediocre.

Culexus

Post#4 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:12 pm

https://killboard.returnofreckoning.com ... oOnly=true

Doesn't matter if they can kite you if they can't do enough damage to kill you. Solo roam is about being able to go 1vX and being able to withstand the dps while wearing down you opponent. Chosen is better than that than any other tank.

SM hits harder for sure and is probably the 2nd best solo tank, but the damage mitigation from Chosen is next level.

It's also worth noting that 95% of the fights you'll have while solo roaming will be against solo stealthers and stealth gank squards so I'd consider making surviving that your main priority.
Bigun - 85 Black Orc
Brian - 70+ Choppa
Karak Norn Veteran

phoramix87

Post#5 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:31 pm

Culexus wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:12 pm https://killboard.returnofreckoning.com ... oOnly=true

Doesn't matter if they can kite you if they can't do enough damage to kill you. Solo roam is about being able to go 1vX and being able to withstand the dps while wearing down you opponent. Chosen is better than that than any other tank.

SM hits harder for sure and is probably the 2nd best solo tank, but the damage mitigation from Chosen is next level.

It's also worth noting that 95% of the fights you'll have while solo roaming will be against solo stealthers and stealth gank squards so I'd consider making surviving that your main priority.
Did you ever play a Chosen lol. If there is an healer dps specced you better run away.
Any good kiter as SW will just kill you easily without being touched.

But this thread is not about Chosen lol

Culexus

Post#6 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:41 pm

Ok then...

SM deals spirit damage and has M2 leap. BG has more debuffs and self heal. Play both higher than T2 and see which class you enjoy the most. If you plan on solo roaming your way up to 80+ BiS then better to play a class you enjoy as it's going to be a one hell of a painful slog.

Good luck out there.
Bigun - 85 Black Orc
Brian - 70+ Choppa
Karak Norn Veteran

Zxul

Post#7 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:05 pm

Here is how to kill kiters as chosen, posted it over years several times, lets see if this time anyone will read:

Roam as dps with snb, make sure you have decent ap regen, when running into kiter: channel HTL while chasing after kiter > when in range Quake > get into melee while they are staggered and melee snare > use Juggernaut to break whatever they try to get away with > kill.

Killed quite a lot of kiters this way back when I was actively playing my chosen.

Bonus points for using Backlash/Bane shield/magic reflect aura for dmging the kiter before getting into range for Quake.
"Can we play with him, master? He seems so unhappy. Let us help him smile. Please? Or at least let us carve one on his face when he stops screaming."

— Azeila, Alluress of Slaanesh

diegomess

Post#8 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:05 pm

phoramix87 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:31 pm
Did you ever play a Chosen lol. If there is an healer dps specced you better run away.
Any good kiter as SW will just kill you easily without being touched.

But this thread is not about Chosen lol
chosen can deal with rdps fairly good like BG, with quake and speed proc weapons also if u use root just when SW is about to jump or to counter BW root with yours... its still annoying for any tank, but IB and SM have morales to deal with range at least.

BG like chosen have a disrupt speed tactic to chase BW or AMs, like u said chosen cant do anything against healers, but the only dps healer he cant kill is AM they are their biggest counters in the game. LUCKILY BG has an amazing tactic to deal with any squishy which is antidetaunt with this u can kill most healers.

SM and BG damage are very high, SM like chosen will do more consistent dmg against other tanks and BG do better against squishies.

now BO... he cant do anything against range he will get bullied everytime unless range stand still lol, can kill AM yea sometimes unless u get detaunted (a very bs ability and the joy killer).

Soloing is great untill a healer appears to ruin your fun.
detaunt is the void of fun... nerf runies.
Chosen Dahaka RR88
BO Zamedi 80

Ads
Farrul

Post#9 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:18 pm

phoramix87 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:16 pm I want to main a tank for solo roaming. Help me decide between BG or SM.

Since I will solo most of the time I need to be able to count as many as possible enemies classes like ranged-healers-dps (am, sham) and physical-rdps.

Would be nice to have:
- nice self-sustain (self-healing/bubble)
- nice anti-kiting
- heal debuff
- can face almost every class (or the one that does it at best)

Currently, I have 30+ Chosen 20ish BG, and 15 SM.
- Chosen, it is cool but fails against rdp, especially AM. And there are a lot.
- BO same thing, can kill AM but fail against the kiters.

So now I would ask your opinion in order to decide between BG and SM.
- a little scared about piano-keybindings for BG...
- any counter for SM?

All of this in solo roaming perspective!
thanks

ps. I am not interested in kotbs/ib
All tanks will fail vs Shaman/AM not only chosen ( if they are decent). BG/IB with heal debuff is your best bet but you wont defeat geared ones under normal circumstances in the typical regen solo roaming tank build.

To solo roam effectively as tank you will need to spec deftard and that means a sacrifice in dps, if you spec more glass dps you may increase your chances vs some targets 1vs1 but will suffer tremendously once the WE/WH jumps you and the gank/adds party begin.

Out of those two choices i would pick SM if pure solo since it has better itemization with no weapon skill requirements, BG is likely more fun to play though if you invest into it likewise IB.

I know you did not ask for it, but if you want the optimal 2 handed melee class for solo roamin that can still be tanky ( 4k armor, 3xx regen, aoe detaunt) White Lion is by far the most effectice choice, actually it is more survivable than any tank class since it offer superior escape utility and tools, WL has the power and combat presence to deal with kite goblins unlike the slow moving and easily kitable tanks.

hordak774

Post#10 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:43 pm

Culexus wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:31 pm Chosen is the king of the tanks for solo roam. They're like the tank version of WH/WE in that they have everything and do it all well.

Who is strong sm or bo in 6v6 ?