Recent Topics

Ads

Close Combat Squig Herder for Leading?

Black Orc, Squig Herder, Choppa, Shaman
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
RaxaGobbo

Close Combat Squig Herder for Leading?

Post#1 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:04 am

Hey!

My introduction: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=52198

I'm a brand new player to this game and the server, and I'd like to ask for some assistance. I've done as much reading as I could and I will continue to do so, but I'd like to take the opportunity to also ask you all mostly on the Squig Herder evil class.

Like my introduction mentions, I've mostly joined as I am specifically interested in leading groups in open world pvp, it's my favourite hobby that I liked to do in Guild Wars, Archeage or Elder Scrolls Online, but I'd like to freshen things up with a new game, so I've taken a break from Guild Wars.

Is a close quarters Squig Herder a durable class? In my experience mobility and survivability is important for leading groups and this class seems very interesting to play, so I'm hoping in a positive answer, or whether you all would agree on my choice for the purposes I've chosen this character.

I'm still reading up on all the different pvp and battleground rules and mechanics so it will take a bit of time to get the basics, but I'd like to soak in as much information as possible on classes and what works in this game.

All thoughts are appreciated, please share! :mrgreen:

Ads
RaxaGobbo

Re: Close Combat Squig Herder for Leading?

Post#2 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:08 am

Oh as a side request,I will probably make another post about this but if anyone also has resources that might help me read up more on pvp basics here and leading in pvp, that's also highly appreciated! :oops:

I'll keep looking as my time allows.

szejoza

Post#3 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:57 pm

This is pretty dope and nice read in general - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KyC ... hLtn8/edit
Spoiler:

RaxaGobbo

Post#4 » Sun Dec 17, 2023 3:19 pm

szejoza wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:57 pm This is pretty dope and nice read in general - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KyC ... hLtn8/edit
Thank you this is a great read for more details - I wish it also had a section for the Evil Side characters :oops:

Caleb

Post#5 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:09 pm

MSH has some great mobility and also AoE Damage that's really useful in RvR Warbands so the choice is definitely not a bad one, at least for now. Who knows what the balance changes will bring, though Squig Herder is so popular I don't think they'll touch Melee.

Normally, there's so many Squig Herders around that it might be hard to get a spot in Warband since they fill fast and you'd have a better chance as a Tank or a Healer, but just like with anything else, the average skill on RoR is lower, and if you are really good with your class and on top of that you are good at making connections, you will never have an issue finding groups.

Even with Squig Herders,a class that's relatively easy, the average player isn't really pumping out all the AoE Damage potential that the class could do.

But since you said your main goal is to lead Warbands - none of this should be an issue for you since you will have your own guaranteed spot in your own Warband and you can play whatever you want. I guess that is the reward for taking an initiative.

Waaghtastic

Post#6 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:24 pm

Short answer: yes.

Long answer:
In my opinion and what I've experienced so far I'd say that mSH ist probably after the marauder the second best wb lead dps archetype. Reason: Good defences, a lot of mobility and good damage. Choppa, Sorc are more like glass cannons. Magus was out of the regular organised warband setup before the patch but is now more interesting again and has also good survivability, so it could also be a good pick.

Just don't forget to pack a Choppa with Chop Fasta in your grp as your main aoe damage ability (big bouncing) heavily(!) profits from the Chop Fasta cooldown reduction (you can spam it continuously).

That being said, in a good organised warband even with proper tanks and heal, even a choppa or sorc will be hard to kill and can lead.

Gladiolix

Post#7 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:23 pm

All but healers can work as warband leaders. mSH is medium armor so pretty survivable, has pounce on 10s CD and self punt. It doesn't have snare breake, no charge (Outta my way is borderline useless), so I wouldn't call his mobility that great. But all things concidered, you can lead a wb with it succesfully and who knows what future brings to him with the upcoming balance patch.
LEGION OF PERKELE
Shaman - Gladiolix (rr86)
Black Orc - Oomiestompa (rr85)
Squig Herder - Bluglog (rr85)
Choppa - Poliisi (rr84)

KoBS rr70+, BW rr70+, WP rr60+

bw10

Post#8 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:30 pm

msh is valid but overall choppa/mara* would be better lead/initiator/main assist

*mara is in a very sorry state right now after ability revamp

Ads
RaxaGobbo

Post#9 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:49 pm

thanks for all the feedback y'all that was really helpful!

from the sound of it it doesn't really matter what I choose too much as long as I'll create a proper warband with good class composition, but what is the stance on space for new Warband leaders?

I'm sure there are already a lot of leaders present on both sides, but does Destruction have free spots for new Warband Leaders to take the initiative or is it order that lacks leaders more?

Would be nice to get some feedback on this or maybe I should make another new post around that.

bw10

Post#10 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:59 pm

leaders are always needed but leading pugs is not very enjoyable in this game. realistically your pick up group will only be good for tailing organized group and flanking after their initiate. in direct confrontation your pug gonna melt instantly against org group