Recent Topics

Ads

[Sorc] Tactics post-patch

Black Guard, Sorceress, Witch Elf, Disciple of Khaine
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
dwyur

[Sorc] Tactics post-patch

Post#1 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:59 pm

Wanted to start a thread for some discussion post-patch on Sorc as I'm grinding it to 80.
Since the patch it seems like Infernal Wave hits much much less targets than it did before. I don't know if they have since changed or tweaked it again but it seems like unless you are on the exact same level ground it barely hit anybody, like a really significant amount less. Due to this I've been thinking about changing the tactics that are pretty standard (Lengthening Shadows & Neverending Agony) and getting Swell of Gloom (by sacrificing Echo of Power) + Piercing Shadows. I know many people already used Piercing Shadows but since Surging Pain never caused backlash dmg I didn't necessarily think it was worth it and thought Lengthening Shadows would do more overall damage.
There is also the change to Frozen Fury tactic which also seemed 100% standard, from 75% to 45% should also be considered, but I think it is still worth it.

build looking to try out
https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/c ... 7,9517,563

What people taking for renown mostly as well?
https://builder.returnofreckoning.com/r ... ;2;2;0;0;0
Dirkfunk - 82 Runepriest
Dwyur - 81 Sorc | Deloused - 70 DoK | Durtknap- 64 Choppa

Ads
reyaloran

Re: [Sorc] Tactics post-patch

Post#2 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:20 am

Piercing shadows should be taken by any melee sorc as the damage is counted as moral damage and cannot be countered. As for frozen fury we were running it before the changes that buffed it to affect the party so its still a best in slot tactic. As for the 3rd tactic lengthening shadows was never worth it as you need neverending agony to maintain the rotation without a choppa.

dwyur

Post#3 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:54 am

reyaloran wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:20 am Piercing shadows should be taken by any melee sorc as the damage is counted as moral damage and cannot be countered. As for frozen fury we were running it before the changes that buffed it to affect the party so its still a best in slot tactic. As for the 3rd tactic lengthening shadows was never worth it as you need neverending agony to maintain the rotation without a choppa.
I didn't take Piercing Shadows as I mentioned Surging Pain never caused backlash damage previously even though tooltip said otherwise, but I just tested it and now Surging Pain does cause backlash damage so yeah Piercing Shadows would seem to be the tactic to use now due to that alone.
But regarding Neverending Agony, thought this was pretty standard for everyone as Infernal Wave on 5 second cooldown was your best damaging spell (largest area + on the move + big numbers), though since the patch it does not hit even close to the same amount of enemies per cast.

Besides Piercing Shadows & Frozen Fury what other two tactics are you taking- Endless Knowledge/?
Dirkfunk - 82 Runepriest

Han

Post#4 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:59 pm

infernal wave is trash now, especially if you enjoy hitting more than 1-3 targets . You either should be spamming disastrous cascade (if you have proper setup /w guard + choppa) or just casting shattered shadows from distance

reyaloran

Post#5 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:41 pm

wave has always kind of been filler for the DC and with the lack of choppas running CF post patch we still need something to fill the 5 second gaps. Shattered shadows isn't a great filler since its got the 3 second cast unless you are arguing to take close quarters over NA. I guess if you want to drop wave completely you could take shadow knives as one of the fillers with PoS being your other filler which would open up a tactic for either CQ for the shattered shadows spam but that will require more targeting in the melee to keep the buff or infernal gift for a small amount of support to the other dps in the party.

dwyur

Post#6 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:34 am

Han wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:59 pm infernal wave is trash now, especially if you enjoy hitting more than 1-3 targets . You either should be spamming disastrous cascade (if you have proper setup /w guard + choppa) or just casting shattered shadows from distance
Yeah that's why I created the thread to discuss how trash it's become and the impact that has on tactics now. For sure Disastrous Cascade should be your primary spell and used on cooldown when in position. Shattered Shadows I have used a lot in the past when I used Focused Mind M2 and does big damage but with 3second normal cast it's pretty rough to use in ORvR and especially since it is ranged spell and as AoE your main damage even with Infernal Wave being shyt is going to be up close of course. Now that Surging Pain causes backlash damage, I think Piercing Shadows + Swell of Gloom for 100% backlash dmg Gloomburst spam on cooldown is worth trying out. When Infernal Wave was top spell I thought Lengthening Shadows was definitely worth it

reyaloran wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:41 pm wave has always kind of been filler for the DC and with the lack of choppas running CF post patch we still need something to fill the 5 second gaps. Shattered shadows isn't a great filler since its got the 3 second cast unless you are arguing to take close quarters over NA. I guess if you want to drop wave completely you could take shadow knives as one of the fillers with PoS being your other filler which would open up a tactic for either CQ for the shattered shadows spam but that will require more targeting in the melee to keep the buff or infernal gift for a small amount of support to the other dps in the party.
I could see how using Close Quarters for Shattered Shadows spam could make some sense but it's still a 1.5 cast with Close Quarters + with 20feet range on CQ now is too up close for me and your casts being reset due to having to stand still + be 20ft away.

I am going to give Endless Knowledge/Frozen Fury/Piercing Shadows/Swell of Gloom a decent go. I still want to see if Infernal Wave has remained as shyt as it's become/no changes since the patch made it barely hit anyone, but I know many used Piercing Shadows even before the patch instead of Lengthening Shadows anyway so mainly Swell of Gloom for Neverending Agony is the most different.
Dirkfunk - 82 Runepriest