Recent Topics

Ads

[DEV DIARY] - OCTOBER 2015

The latest news from the battlefront.
Find out what the developers are working on.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Yaliskah
Former Staff

[DEV DIARY] - OCTOBER 2015

Post#1 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:01 pm

Hello everyone!

It has been a long time since the last DEV DIARY, and it is now time to tell you some news from behind the curtain, about the state of the server. Here we go!

POPULATION

First, you'll have all noticed that our population in Return of Reckoning continues to grow, which is for us - the whole RoR team - the best reward you could give to us. Thank you! Your ever-increasing presence is a huge motivator for us (but also a cause of great pressure with your expectations!) This population increase in the past months wasn't anticipated, and the direct consequence is the massive lag at peak population. A year ago we were excited to have 50 players in game, and now we are pushing the server to its limits with over 750!

LAG

This growing population has resulted - as you are more often the witnesses - to generate a phenomenal lag as we get closer to the current server cap. We are very aware of this, share your concerns, and resolving this issue has moved to the top of the priority list.

The original core of RoR was not designed to host so much concentrated action, and many pieces must be recoded. This will take some time. Several new mechanics have been introduced during the past year, and we need to put all of this on the table to make it more enjoyable. We have taken steps to trace where we are losing performance and make corrections as needed. Unfortunately, some of the best times for development to track down these issues, is right at peak times when everything is struggling. We appreciate your patience with this.

THE T3

Many of have been eagerly awaiting the release of Tier 3 and I cannot avoid this subject. Know that the teams have provided a mammoth task to bring you Tier 3 as quickly as possible. The RvR lakes, quests, a raised level cap with class skills, is prepared and ready to be deployed (missing only minor details). However, because of the lag issues, it does not seem wise to deploy it right away. We hope you will be patient and understand that this choice does not come easy for us.

We want your first impressions in T3 to be under our best possible conditions. Your battles should be more focused on each other instead of with the server overloaded and lag bringing things to a grind.

OTHER

Some bad news, and this is a daily concern for the staff, RoR has become a victim of its successes. We have seen some concerning behavior in our network infrastructure, which does not help the stability expected in-game. Our provider has done its best to handle some of the excess traffic we've been attracting, but their options are limited. For now, we seem to be dealing with these issues as best we can, and hopefully in the future they will subside as we develop a better experience for all of us.

CONCLUSION

I'm really happy to share this amazing adventure with all of you, as a staff member and as a player above all, and I would like thank you - yet again - in the name of all the RoR Staff, for making this project a wonderful experience.

Yali.

Ads
tomato

Re: [DEV DIARY] - OCTOBER 2015

Post#2 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:10 pm

Keep up the good work, we all really appreciate what you guys are doing. :D

wender88

Post#3 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:25 pm

You go girls! (and guys)

Also, have my babies!
Kenzing - Specialneedz

thullonse

Post#4 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:26 pm

the zerging after the server reboot to disable aao was almost lagfree which was pretty good. idk what u guys did to cause this but a few days ago the same amount of people would have caused massive lagspikes for everyone, good job!
ps: gief t3 plx
*** you leatherman

Caffeine

Post#5 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:29 pm

This is a perfectly reasonable attitude. I'd rather wait a little longer for T3 than have it rushed and laggy. I think everyone understands the limitations you guys face when working on this project and I do wish Azrael didn't take it so personal when people complained about prime time lags :)
VinyUI | FPS Guide | Scenario Alert | Image Caffeine Image Decaf Image Vermont Image Nevada

Novgoroth

Post#6 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:35 pm

I agree with the delayed T3, good option !

Thank a lot to you for your work, can't wait to see the futur =)
Scaarlett - Disciple of Khaine | Scarlett - Witch Elf | Scarlettonice - Sorceress | Scarlette - Zealot

Scarlettonfire - Bright Wizzard | Scarlettsm - Swordmaster | Scarlettm - Witch Hunter | Navselene - Archmage

dave2278

Post#7 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:42 pm

As much as it saddens me that we have to delay t3 but the lag must be fixed first

trivoid

Post#8 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:46 pm

This was a great read. Now I'm just even more excited for T3 knowing it'll be more stable, I was worried the lag would ruin it, so that worry is gone!

Just...not too long... :|
- Judrog Dragunslaya, Chieftain Choppa of the Deathskull Tribe
- Tongo Wozizname, Shaman
- Togo Wolfbreath, Squig Herder
- Locka Gitlobba, Black Orc

Ads
Tesq

Post#9 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:48 pm

nothing wrong with the t3 delay.

papakoko

Post#10 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:55 pm

T3 delay sucks but if you must then so be it :(.. Don't see the difference if we lag in T2 or T3 but all good.. Not like we can do anything about it ..

Be nice if we can just start by raising the level cap to 29 - 31 ish so we can play with the funner skills.

As always TY for this server and for bring WAR back ....