Recent Topics

Ads

oRvR overhaul

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
VindicoAtrum

Re: oRvR overhaul

Post#11 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:59 am

wewso11 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:36 am I like the idea of keeps being tied to objective control.
A balancing system would be nice where the defending realm spawns small Hero groups to retake objectives and try to split the enemy realm.
This can open up map plays and get people to work around timing and zone awareness.
We already have a mechanic like this in cities and I it would be nice to see it in RvR aswell.
Tying keeps to objectives any more than they are now just benefits the overpopulated side more.

Ads
TreefAM

Post#12 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:04 pm

Would be great if you had to hold 3 BOs to actually attack the doors, forcing people to hold the objectives and with this not have their whole zerg just sit on the keep after reaching 2 stars.

Lyckansost

Post#13 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:50 pm

mrmuscolo wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:18 am As a returning player oRvr looks like a dying part of the game, pointless and obsolete. Zerg, no roaming, no rewards, no gear progression (most of that comes from forts/cities).
What about a new personal contribution system? The more time you spend in the zone the higher your level of contribution would be. So every 10-15min or so actively spent in the zone, you fill your contribution bar until in levels up (like 3-5 levels). Then every 20-30min or so you get rewarded based on your contr level and maybe keep rank / BOs held / population...
I'm not sure about rewards... maybe a new global currency is required.
(If i recall correctly GuildWars2 had/has a similar contribution system??)
Imo gear progression should be moved away from forts/cities - they should be bonus and rare content/realm pride only; many players can't even get inside anyway because in que or sleeping when they happen.
(I really believe Orvr should carry the game more... too much of: pve, forts, cities, rankedSC, and all the gear involved is scattering and driving people away.)
Agree with you!
I am however not a returning player nor have I left but taken a break only 3 weeks now, and I don't know if I'll come back to RoR cuz city/fort only real way to progress and playing EU prime time =no progress.

PlagueMonk

Post#14 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:51 pm

mrmuscolo wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:18 am As a returning player oRvr looks like a dying part of the game, pointless and obsolete. Zerg, no roaming, no rewards, no gear progression (most of that comes from forts/cities).
What about a new personal contribution system? The more time you spend in the zone the higher your level of contribution would be. So every 10-15min or so actively spent in the zone, you fill your contribution bar until in levels up (like 3-5 levels). Then every 20-30min or so you get rewarded based on your contr level and maybe keep rank / BOs held / population...
I'm not sure about rewards... maybe a new global currency is required.
(If i recall correctly GuildWars2 had/has a similar contribution system??)
Imo gear progression should be moved away from forts/cities - they should be bonus and rare content/realm pride only; many players can't even get inside anyway because in que or sleeping when they happen.
(I really believe Orvr should carry the game more... too much of: pve, forts, cities, rankedSC, and all the gear involved is scattering and driving people away.)
The problem I have with this idea is, people could do virtually nothing, just wander around their keep and, as long as they don't go AFK, they will be rewarded. You should not get anything for simply existing in a zone. There is already a contribution system in place that will, over time pay off through persistence. You may not get a bag every time but you WILL eventually get something. Plus it forces you to actively contribute if you want something.

As for the OPs suggestions......I dislike tying the BOs into damage on the doors. What does holding essentially a supply depot have to do with damage to doors? There needs to be at least some logical connection else it just becomes a mechanic to be that and only that.

The main problems I see are:

- As someone mentioned above, you deliver supplies until 2 stars then it's BAM, off to siege.
- During a siege, MDPS / Tanks do nothing (yes MDPS can enter the postern but if the keep is being defended, chances are it's suicide and then you cannot be rezzed and only 4 tanks can be on the ram). That's almost half our forces just waiting for the door to go down.......twice.
- Keep/Fortress entry points create a single tactic for offense/defense. This creates often times Mexican standoff that can get boring.

I would suggest these changes:

- Agree with the OP, bring back all those cool siege abilities classes have that are disabled. This will give many something more to do. I admit I don't know why they were disabled in the first place but.....

- Have neutral supplies scattered around the zones. Make the places so many it will be impossible to map them but people can get familiar with where some may show up. This allows roaming people to discover and help. make these more valuable since the other side could kill the holder and then take them to their keep.

- Keep star upgrades should be significant. All reasons why you would want more than a 2 star keep.
- Oil should do more damage to rams/ people the more stars you have.
- They will spawn a stronger ram making the siege time less.
- Guards will get a lot stronger. The ones I see spawn now every couple mins are a minor annoyance at best. What if, at 3 stars the area between the inner/outer keep spawned a mini-lord that could do some real damage if not dealt with? and/or lvl 41+ champ groups? Want about guard groups that roam the area outside the keep at 4 stars that would need at least a 12 man to take down?

- Give the other siege equipment more variations. I remember DAoC you could choose your type of ammo such as fire, ice, etc. Things like DOTs, snares, KDs, Heal debuffs, etc.
- Make all siege friendly fire. I have always thought it stupid that, just because it's your oil, you can go stand underneath it. NO. If you are out there and get dumped on, you will die just like everyone else.

*Disclaimer**This last idea I know is probably beyond the scope of what the Devs can deliver*
- Add in trebuchets and broken walls. DAoC had them and so does ESO. This would change the keep/fortress dynamic significantly, allowing multiple possible entry points into the keeps and give all those bored people something more to do, either through trying to enter a breach or defend it. Not to mention repairing it!
- As I said I know, this would require a lot of new art assets along with animations, coding etc but if it was possible......

New Ability, Siege Craft! - This would allow you to make rams hit harder, repair doors more efficient, cannons do more damage (maybe this is where siege ammo variation could come in), siege equipment cost less, etc. It would take up 1 crafting slot and you could specialize in one area; Equipment damage, siege defense (repairing doors/walls, equipment), or economics (cost reduction)

that's all I can think of atm.
Last edited by PlagueMonk on Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arcrival

Post#15 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:34 pm

Creative ideas @plaguemonk. I believe there was discussion from or with the devs regarding orcapaults as well
It's OK to heal a Slayer! :mrgreen:

VindicoAtrum

Post#16 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:07 pm

Lyckansost wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:50 pm
I am however not a returning player nor have I left but taken a break only 3 weeks now, and I don't know if I'll come back to RoR cuz city/fort only real way to progress and playing EU prime time =no progress.
Here's the dilemna right. Play EU primetime and you gotta be destro to win zones but if you're destro your chance of getting in city relies on being in a 24 man. Play EU primetime on order, you get steamrolled from t2 to t4 but you'll get in city 95% of the time, even if you solo queue.

sighy

Post#17 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:59 pm

PlagueMonk wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:51 pmAs for the OPs suggestions......I dislike tying the BOs into damage on the doors. What does holding essentially a supply depot have to do with damage to doors? There needs to be at least some logical connection else it just becomes a mechanic to be that and only that.
(I know there was more about BOs in your post just didn't want to cover whole page)

I'd say that Battlefield Objectives are there to be fought over not as it is right now, where they are tagged, until a box spawns and then left to their own fate, because there is no further reward for holding onto them. Which means gankers sit in fron of keeps(predictably) and zerglings run from wc to wc brainlessly based on which one has bigger swarm at that time, until 2* are reached. Making it stale and boring since the change, which implemented the supply boxes to combat the complaints that people were holding the BOs and not zerging go figure...

catholicism198

Post#18 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:14 pm

They've tried many of those suggestions.

No one liked them.

Ads
Lithenir

Post#19 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:29 pm

PlagueMonk wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:51 pm As for the OPs suggestions......I dislike tying the BOs into damage on the doors. What does holding essentially a supply depot have to do with damage to doors? There needs to be at least some logical connection else it just becomes a mechanic to be that and only that.
As for the logical connection with the supply depots... How does your siege get any reinforcements or ammunation without having a supply train/route? I am glad they tied the siege weapons - besides rams - to supplies, but there actually has something to be done to rams also.
The other day in KV order held 2-3 BOs during the entire siege and where running supplies like hell. Every BO had at least 2-3 runners for supplies and you know what that did to the siege? Not much because the ram still hits harder than controlling most of the map and running supplies. In fact supplies are obsolet once you hit 2 Stars and start a siege.
As for another logical thing. How do you think would a siege work if you don't control the land in which the siege happens? Probably pretty badly because of reinforcements coming from the land. Maybe another idea could be that every BO the defender holds spawns lord mobs running from the BO to the keep to defend. Probably with a timer a little larger than supply spawn timer. OFC the lords need to be harder/more powerful the more attackers are in the zone so there will be no critical mass after which attackers doesn't need to care about BOs.

The BOs have to be involved during the whole time a zone is open and not just for the first 15 minutes and then everyone is just standing around waiting for a siege to happen to stare each other down from/up the walls.

Xergon

Post#20 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:51 am

VindicoAtrum wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:07 pm
Lyckansost wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:50 pm
Here's the dilemna right. Play EU primetime and you gotta be destro to win zones but if you're destro your chance of getting in city relies on being in a 24 man. Play EU primetime on order, you get steamrolled from t2 to t4 but you'll get in city 95% of the time, even if you solo queue.
Yes, because joining or making ur own group/guild is such terrible aspect of an MMORPG game... U want to play solo go play ESO or some other ****, Warhammer is about playing in the group and making use of synergies that's what's most wonderful about trinity class system. I seriously cannot comprehend why this is so hard to understand...

My guild/ally/group usually do not care about pushing campaign although we made couple times efforts to do so and we managed to make city happen off prime time as well as during prime time. There are other groups/guilds who probably managed to do so as well and that's the beauty of playing group based game.
The Unlikely Plan
YouTube