Recent Topics

Ads

Buff Tank ability: Guard

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
Omegus

Re: Buff Tank ability: Guard

Post#31 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:17 am

Dobzse wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:46 pm
Faction69 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:52 pm I don't think the best ability in the game needs a buff.
Can you explain why you think guard is the best skill in game?
If it is the best skill how come tanks are the least played archetype from all 3.
Do you think that after they will overhaul healing and dps the most important tank skill should be left untouched ?
It is the best ability in the game because it is mandatory for pvp to work. All damage and healing is balanced around guard. As an example: if you had a group vs group fight or warband vs warband (or anything else) where no one used guard, any non-tank would die immediately due to how much that ability affects survivability when combined with healing. It may not be the most fun ability, it may do nothing flashy, but it is the "best" skill in the game.

If you take it off the GCD then within a day you would have an add-on that could automating guard swaps. I know this, because I would write it. And it could not be blocked.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Ads
Ysaran

Post#32 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:59 am

As said by @Omegus the problem with guard, with tanks actually, is that it is not showy/flashy. A DPS get kills, while a Healer can see big healing numbers and get thanked per the rezzes. Tanks see nothing. There is no parameter that measure the usefulness of your CCs and no one will thank you for your guard.

About the OP, I am against taking guard off GCD. Group fights, especially in 6v6 and capital, are already extremely long. Instant guard swap would just make them longer and more frustrating.
Zputadenti

sullemunk
Addon Developer

Post#33 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:19 am

Ysaran wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:59 am As said by @Omegus the problem with guard, with tanks actually, is that it is not showy/flashy. A DPS get kills, while a Healer can see big healing numbers and get thanked per the rezzes. Tanks see nothing. There is no parameter that measure the usefulness of your CCs and no one will thank you for your guard.

About the OP, I am against taking guard off GCD. Group fights, especially in 6v6 and capital, are already extremely long. Instant guard swap would just make them longer and more frustrating.
Maby we should add fireworks everytime a tank blocks/parries a guard (Omegus, modify Bloody mess to trigger flashy lights on guard instead of crits). Joke aside, Players seems to forget that guardswitching wasn't a thing back on live and it took 2 activations of guard to switch (1:st to take it off the old guard, then again to apply it on the new one)
Image Ethreal   Image Corque   Image Urgiz   Image Loxley   Image Chilli   Image Maduza

Dackjanielz

Post#34 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:25 am

The only thing id like to be able to do is guard friends who are not in my group so i can help save peoples lived better, but admittedly, balance wise this could be rough.

To my knowledge the cap limited is only 2 guards per target right?
you cant have 3 guys guarding a single person can you?

That might be enough to keep things in line perhaps.

sullemunk
Addon Developer

Post#35 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:30 am

Dackjanielz wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:25 am The only thing id like to be able to do is guard friends who are not in my group so i can help save peoples lived better, but admittedly, balance wise this could be rough.

You can have up to 5 persons guarding a player, but only the closest one will share the damage
Image Ethreal   Image Corque   Image Urgiz   Image Loxley   Image Chilli   Image Maduza

Ysaran

Post#36 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:36 am

Dackjanielz wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:25 am The only thing id like to be able to do is guard friends who are not in my group so i can help save peoples lived better, but admittedly, balance wise this could be rough.

Abilities don't stack with abilities. So, if you and anothe person debuff a stat to a certain target, let's say toughness, then only the higher debuff applies. Same goes with guard. If two tanks are guarding the same person, then only the guard of the nearest tank will be considered.
Zputadenti

Ysaran

Post#37 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:37 am

sullemunk wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:19 am
Ysaran wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:59 am As said by @Omegus the problem with guard, with tanks actually, is that it is not showy/flashy. A DPS get kills, while a Healer can see big healing numbers and get thanked per the rezzes. Tanks see nothing. There is no parameter that measure the usefulness of your CCs and no one will thank you for your guard.

Maby we should add fireworks everytime a tank blocks/parries a guard (Omegus, modify Bloody mess to trigger flashy lights on guard instead of crits). Joke aside, Players seems to forget that guardswitching wasn't a thing back on live and it took 2 activations of guard to switch (1:st to take it off the old guard, then again to apply it on the new one)
I never played tank on live and honestly my memories of the live server are hazy, I was very young at that time. I think that guard on RoR is in a good place and a buff would make all the fight way more frustrating than now
Zputadenti

Dackjanielz

Post#38 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:31 am

sullemunk wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:30 am

You can have up to 5 persons guarding a player, but only the closest one will share the damage

Thanks, that sounds like a good mechanic.

Ads
Dobzse

Post#39 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:21 pm

Omegus wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:17 am It is the best ability in the game because it is mandatory for pvp to work. All damage and healing is balanced around guard. As an example: if you had a group vs group fight or warband vs warband (or anything else) where no one used guard, any non-tank would die immediately due to how much that ability affects survivability when combined with healing. It may not be the most fun ability, it may do nothing flashy, but it is the "best" skill in the game.

If you take it off the GCD then within a day you would have an add-on that could automating guard swaps. I know this, because I would write it. And it could not be blocked.
Just add a 2 sec internal cooldown same as knight/chosen auras are now.
Dreadnari - Chosen
Chuckz - BlackOrc
Xalzius - Magus
Dreadclaw - White Lion
Boombastic - Engineer
Dobzse - Knight of the Blazing Sun

jbrutal

Post#40 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:01 pm

Buff tanks and guard, nerf healing. Enough of spamming ez mode aoe heals and through walls.

75% reduction dmg to ally 25% to self -with healing % debuff fix armor scaling remove caps reduce overal crit make tanks great.