Recent Topics

Ads

[Ranked]Let's fix ranked games before they die.

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
BeautfulToad

Re: [Ranked]Let's fix ranked games before they die.

Post#11 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:32 pm

Koryu199X wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:54 pm Before on my tank I had an MMR of 1600 and we won quite a number of ranked but we also lost a few. I think there are a few issues, the first being skill, if you lose a ranked sc perhaps discussing why and then discussing how to counter what you lost against would be a way to level up the player base which is what destro needs. For example one ranked we were doing alright and matching the order group well but because we didn't focus on healers enough eventually after about 12 mins they managed to get one of our dps as they had over extended. Secondly, order before pre- season played a lot of tanks but also they played a good variety of classes in ranked, now in season two it's 2 knights, 2 slayers and 2 warrior priests. It's back to live prefabs which no offense is meant by this are requiring less "skill" as the classes being used are more forgiving if you make a mistake. Yes I did play a warrior priest and a slayer before anyone says anything. Lastly, the reward system offers very little in terms of incentive due to lack of pops and win/loss ratio. If there were loads of pops and a good mix of win/lose it might not be so bad but because your mmr takes a huge hit this also affects things. Yes I think it's fair that ranked should be for the good players. But as a whole we do need to support those that get beat to be better, even I think I can do better. But perhaps a look again at class balance is needed, if 2 wp are proving impossible to best then it needs to be assessed.
Ranked Solo is for:
  • 6v6 aficionados
  • Discord users
  • Basically full sovereign to have a chance.
oRvR is for:
  • 6-mans, warbands, solo gankers
  • Discord / non-discord users
  • Turn up naked and you might get booted from a pug
I think people give up on forts precisely because of the drive to only award a few people. Winner-takes-all means you reward joining the winning side, while you punish people who join the losing side. In terms of 6v6, I remember they used to be competitions set up by players in rvr zones on specific days, and a few 6-mans turned up (like 7-8) on a good day. Six on six was never a preferred game mode by the vast bulk of players in RoR.
Last edited by BeautfulToad on Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#12 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:43 pm

We should punish people from losing. Renown loss, delete currency, maybe whole pieces of set gear. Then when people say "punished" for not being rewarded when they lose, it might actually mean something.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Mergrim

Post#13 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:06 pm

We should change the scoring rules to be always the same, not based on MMR. Last 3 games on my tank lost -59, win +10, draw -19...Just make it win +15, lost -10, draw+0.

Caduceus

Post#14 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:10 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:43 pm We should punish people from losing. Renown loss, delete currency, maybe whole pieces of set gear. Then when people say "punished" for not being rewarded when they lose, it might actually mean something.

Nice to see concerns from the community are taken seriously.
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream; that's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight razor... and surviving." - Colonel Walter E. Kurtz

navis

Post#15 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:32 pm

I don't know what the real solution might be, or how to handle the rewards, but I was thinking that maybe it would be better to combine Ranked Solo with the regular T4 group, as an expanded bracket.

My thoughts are that Grouped Ranked 6v6 should be the only 6v6 match type. I think this would better match the general population.

Perhaps as an addition, there would simply be some extra ranked match types for weekends or for Events.

I don't see how Ranked Solo can be taken seriously as the whole point of 6v6 is to build specialized groups, if played as intended you would get 5 other random players of the proper class type. That is the real challenge, not skill IMO.

BeautfulToad

Post#16 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:46 pm

Caduceus wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:10 pm Nice to see concerns from the community are taken seriously.

I think solo rank should change, e.g. ranking system, better rewards for sides on losing streaks, etc, and efforts should be made to make more people interested in a ranked mode. I don't think that is a hard challenge for the dev team, considering the state ranked mode is in (its just a player pop issue).

I also think it's a fair response to my comment, and good to know GMs are reading the thread.
Last edited by BeautfulToad on Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skylinx

Post#17 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:57 pm

You can only make it viable for EVERYONE to give ranked a real go and to stay is to give everyone the same gear and level. you can pull ppl with conq gear at rr60 so they lack not only gear but renown points and unable to go full spec as they dont have the +2 from 6 piece sov bonus which is max build for some classes. You can be the best DPS on the planet and play perfectly but if you are rr60 in conq gear, a gimp at rr80 BiS will walk all over you and, thereafter, the rest of your team. However, i dont see how the devs can implement a pvp system like this, similar to GW2, in this game.

As far as class balance goes, Shield Doks/WP, they surely should not be able to do approx 80% of the other dps classes dmg and still heal exactly the same they would in heal spec...this is ridiculous and an istnat loss, if not, playing for a draw if u get lucky.

Strakar

Post#18 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:54 am

Based on Wargrimnir's response it seems this is just intended to be super hardcore elite mode and everyone else is a bunch of whiners. We'll see where it ends up, some of the ideas seem promising to improve interest though for the average player.

I'm in the same camp as several posters, bumping along at or near 0 MMR and getting tired of it. Can't even play except rare weekends as an NA player anyway. The gear isn't good enough to grind unless you can get the ring, which is unattainable to most. Once the fodder is gone then the remaining players can get a few competitive matches against each other, unless the rumors of people just playing the winning side is true then they won't be interested in that either. That's probably the reality otherwise more people would be playing group ranked.

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#19 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:28 am

Strakar wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:54 am Based on Wargrimnir's response it seems this is just intended to be super hardcore elite mode and everyone else is a bunch of whiners. We'll see where it ends up, some of the ideas seem promising to improve interest though for the average player.

I'm in the same camp as several posters, bumping along at or near 0 MMR and getting tired of it. Can't even play except rare weekends as an NA player anyway. The gear isn't good enough to grind unless you can get the ring, which is unattainable to most. Once the fodder is gone then the remaining players can get a few competitive matches against each other, unless the rumors of people just playing the winning side is true then they won't be interested in that either. That's probably the reality otherwise more people would be playing group ranked.
If people are playing the winning side to grind for a piece of gear, they shouldn't be playing this mode anyway. The gear was to attract some people in and see if they enjoy the mode. If it's bad, they don't like it, and they were only doing it for the gear grind, then the quality of the matches would be poor either way. I just take issue with saying players are being punished for not being rewarded when they lose. The mindset that you always need to be winning something isn't one I've ever bought into. I very much believe in doing compelling content for the sake of content, rather than developing with a big enough carrot people will grind though anything you throw at them.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

pvprangergod
Suspended

Post#20 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 4:33 am

wargrimnir wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:28 am
Strakar wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:54 am Based on Wargrimnir's response it seems this is just intended to be super hardcore elite mode and everyone else is a bunch of whiners. We'll see where it ends up, some of the ideas seem promising to improve interest though for the average player.

If people are playing the winning side to grind for a piece of gear, they shouldn't be playing this mode anyway. The gear was to attract some people in and see if they enjoy the mode. If it's bad, they don't like it, and they were only doing it for the gear grind, then the quality of the matches would be poor either way. I just take issue with saying players are being punished for not being rewarded when they lose. The mindset that you always need to be winning something isn't one I've ever bought into. I very much believe in doing compelling content for the sake of content, rather than developing with a big enough carrot people will grind though anything you throw at them.
Solo ranked is compelling? LOL good one, did u ever play it?