Help installing the game - 2019 COMMUNITY CHALLENGE

Problems installing or downloading the game? Check the Technical Support Sticky first.

Moderators: Developer, Management, Web Developer

Forum rules
READ THE STICKIED THREADS BEFORE YOU POST IN THIS SUBFORUM.

READ THEM THOROUGHLY.

The stickies exist to handle common queries. Save our time and yours by reading them first.

Thank you.
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Help installing the game - 2019 COMMUNITY CHALLENGE

Post#1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:36 am

Hi there. You're probably new here, or it's been a while since you played.

First off, if you're downloading the game using the Launcher and you see something like 171,000 files remaining, you should stop. You're not supposed to use the Launcher to install the game. That's only if you've played before.

Use the torrent. Even if you've never downloaded with a torrent before, it's going to be a hundred times faster, literally. The installer does a good job of putting things in place, but to be honest, it's really slow. Maybe it will get better over time, right now it isn't.

The Launcher is only really intended for patching the game, and while you _can_ download it that way, it could literally take you days, and if the server crashes it can interrupt the download and you'll have to start over.

Don't use the Launcher, or the installer for now. Use the torrent.
(Never used a torrent? I recommend Tixati personally, it's ad-free and works fine.)

Cool. Everything downloaded with the torrent. Now what?

Stop the torrent. Exit the program.

If you want to help out and understand how torrents work, make a copy of the entire folder before you make any changes and move it to your desktop. If you don't want to help out, or have a misunderstanding about torrents being bad, just move the folder to your desktop and forget all about it. You can also uninstall whatever program you used to torrent, you won't need it again.

Now the War folder is on your desktop right?

Good, right click that folder, go to properties, and uncheck read-only. Apply it to all the files. Don't worry if the box still looks filled afterward, that's just Windows being dumb. It did what it needed to do. You're going to do this again at the end.

That third step where you downloaded the Launcher, find that, and stick it in your War folder. It should Run as Administrator, if it doesn't you should be able to right click and run as administrator, if it doesn't you can right click, go to properties, select the Compatibility tab, and check Run as an administrator. If you can't do any of that, you don't have administrator rights on your account and you'll need that. Get an adult to help you I guess.

When you run the Launcher, provided it's in your War folder, it will start to download files again. This time, it should be around 4500 files. That doesn't take so long. Once it finishes, DO NOT click connect. Instead, close the Launcher, and open it again. It will download a few more files. Repeat this until it stops trying to download files.

Now you're fully patched! If you're not fully patched, it can cause some weird things to happen in-game, like bags not opening. That makes it hard to play.

Also this, one more time. For good measure.
Right click your WAR folder, go to properties, and uncheck read-only. Apply it to all the files. Don't worry if the box still looks filled afterward, that's just Windows being dumb. It did what it needed to do.

Is DirectX 9.0c installed? It's required. There's a link on the download page.

Yes?
Good.
Click connect.
Login with your forum account.
Enjoy.
Rule #1 Don't be a ****.
Read the TOS.
We have active GM's that will ban you. <3

WAIT

NONE OF THAT WORKED. OMG.

Okay bud. Calm down. You've got a special case, maybe. Or you didn't read things on the download page. Or you skipped to the end and didn't read all of the things. If you didn't read all the things here, read all the things here.

If you did read all the things here, this is how you get help.

Look at the error message. Read it. They have a bit of jargon, but usually it will tell you what the issue is to give you a clue.

Take a screenshot of the error message, take a screenshot of your War folder while it's open to show off the cool things you downloaded. Usually with those people can figure out what you missed. You can post that stuff on the forums in the Tech Support section. Or you can post it on the Discord, and someone might respond to you eventually.

Please don't single out staff with questions about how to install the game. There's lots of people that have had your same problem and 99% of them just missed a step. The odd 1% probably have other severe issues with their Windows install that we can't help with anyway. If you make yourself into an annoyance, no one is going to help you. Take what you can get.

~~~~ COMMUNITY CHALLENGE TIME ~~~~

Make a Youtube video following these instructions to install the game and post it in this thread!

Is everything correct? Is it missing a step somewhere? Let me know and we can make this the best damn install instructions the server has ever seen!

Reward maybe? Interesting, what kind of rewards do we like to give out around here for the community? Hmm...
After an arbitrary number of submissions, I will declare the contest over, at my leisure.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ads
davispeed
Legacy RR80

Re: Help installing the game - 2019 COMMUNITY CHALLENGE

Post#2 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:48 am

First!

Good idea, i like it, however my sig says it all ...
Good luck to the contester!!
]

davispeed
Legacy RR80

Post#4 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:40 pm

Ense wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Click here to watch on YouTube
Good one Ense!

Ense

Post#5 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:01 pm

davispeed wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:40 pm
Ense wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:42 pm

Good one Ense!
Thanks man :)

SoldianTv

Post#6 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:45 am

Here is a german one, made by me yesterday.

Die deutsche Anleitung

GoshDarn
Banned

Post#7 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:13 pm

I love you Wargrim
-Bepbepimajep-81-Sorc

Acidic

Post#8 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:59 pm

Working on it !
How long is comp open for ?

Ads
lalonte23

Post#9 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:11 pm

Hello!
want to contribute with the server here is my installation guide.

we can add/delete/edit any part, any typo or maybe i forgot something just let me know!. i tried to make it as short as possible.

i can translate and make spanish and portugues-brazilian version of the video as well.

pd.: sorry about my Windows Español :V
Guntho Salvus

Acidic

Post#10 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:56 pm

Installation guide for warhammer online, hopeful of some use :)

Edit: Updated the sound track