Ads

Destro tanks

Let's talk about... everything else
peterthepan3

Re: Destro tanks

Post#21 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:18 pm

Fallenkezef wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:40 am
Aebel wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:08 am
Fallenkezef wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:51 am It all comes down to personal preference as all 3 Order tanks are effective in their own ways. BG, arguably, takes more skill it's like the IB, playing a piano, watching the various buffs and abilities.

Chosen is relatively simple in concept, pick the right auras for your build/playstyle, keep the aoe wound debuff and dots up and go to town with ravage or relentless depending on build.

I can not speak for the BO, never played one.

The most inportant thing, for all tanks is to learn to switch guard and identify who will best benefit from it in any given situation. Also learn to punt properly, otherwise you waste one of the most powerful tank abilities.
Well higher skill requirements also usually means a higher skill ceiling as well which is fine by me. Are BGs much sought after for 6v6 or wb level play?
Well no, Chosen is a class that benefits your whole group while a BG is a relatively selfish class that benefits you and one other. It's not about skill ceiling.
10% crit on a target for all (not just group), aoe wounds debuff, toughness debuff, crit debuff, etc. While BG doesn't have as much immediate groupwide support, if you learn how to 'play your piano' (cycling your Dark Protector), it's incredibly potent for a group.

I would say BG is the best 6v6 tank on destro atm, but don't expect a lot of 6v6 to occur.

Ads
Fallenkezef

Post#22 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:15 pm

peterthepan3 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:18 pm
Aebel wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:08 am
Well higher skill requirements also usually means a higher skill ceiling as well which is fine by me. Are BGs much sought after for 6v6 or wb level play?
Well no, Chosen is a class that benefits your whole group while a BG is a relatively selfish class that benefits you and one other. It's not about skill ceiling.
10% crit on a target for all (not just group), aoe wounds debuff, toughness debuff, crit debuff, etc. While BG doesn't have as much immediate groupwide support, if you learn how to 'play your piano' (cycling your Dark Protector), it's incredibly potent for a group.

I would say BG is the best 6v6 tank on destro atm, but don't expect a lot of 6v6 to occur.
I tend to look at the game from a wb perspective hence my comments on the chosen. If you want to roll a class for the almost non-existant 6v6 then Bg guess, bu you'll spend most of your time being overun by wb's or sat in the capital waiting for the sc to pop.
Alea iacta est

CountTalabecland

Post#23 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:52 pm

Order somehow lacks everything besides PUG rdps, and even then most of them seem to be completely useless at killing anything and are good mostly at dying from poor positioning. From my limited time tanking as a BO, destro has both more healers and more diverse dps and tanks, so the odds of you ending up in a 2/2/2 situation are pretty good. Default move is probably to follow your mdps and assist (which any tank can do, this is more of a player skill and the ability to click the guard button :D).

So I don't think you can go wrong in scens as any dest tank. You will likely have rdps and mdps and at least 1 chosen. Something else to consider is the insane tankiness of a good BG/DoK or IB/WP combo in small scale.

On order there are hardly any SM and most often getting 8 def tanks in a pug WB is pretty damn hard. Dest on the other hand has a PUG melee train going every day of the week. All any tank really needs to do in a wb situation is guard the dps and spam HTL and challenge when fighting another wb. BO bellows and Chosen auras are "better" for wbs in the sense that they buff the grp without you needing to click anything or watch ability timers. IB and BG can turn a decent mdps into an killing machine with some decent healing to support.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

peterthepan3

Post#24 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Fallenkezef wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:15 pm
peterthepan3 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:18 pm

I tend to look at the game from a wb perspective hence my comments on the chosen. If you want to roll a class for the almost non-existant 6v6 then Bg guess, bu you'll spend most of your time being overun by wb's or sat in the capital waiting for the sc to pop.
Fair points. In general 6man play, though, I would say 2h BG is the best pick atm.

orillah
Suspended

Post#25 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:38 pm

All destro tanks a decent atm. All have viable 2h and snb builds. Bg is just the most “changed” here from its live version, and most changes was actually buffs. I assume you are new and do not have a guild to constantly run those nearly nonexistent 24vs24 wbs, so for starting solo player I definitely recommend bg. Chosen is easiest but can be a bit boring, and BO is slightly behind bg atm in my eyes. Do not listen to all claiming you need some superb skill to play bg, it’s not harder than bo plan dancing.

peterthepan3

Post#26 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:43 pm

If you want to play the BG and fulfill its potential, it is definitely harder to do so than it is on a BO. BO/SM are among the easiest classes to play in the game (hence why I got bored of SM and shelved it). Just my 2c anyway, to each their own.

Aebel

Post#27 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:37 pm

How is each tanks solo play? I know the BG is totally fine solo but how about the Chosen or BO?

Schmissgesicht

Post#28 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:05 am

Im having lots of fun with my 2h bo. I dont have the feeling hes very squishy at all. In my build i sacifized THC to be able to stick to Rock Ard (just love that skill) and more point in Da Boss tree. Im happy with spamming Da Big ´Un without CD instead for now (almost constantly available due to Bring ´em on & changing da plan).
Heres my build: RoR.builders - Black Orc

Ads
Yardy

Post#29 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:49 am

Black Orc in my opinion is the most fun to play, the mechanic is great and when it was S&B with tree hit you felt like you brought a good bit of pressure to the group along with the ability to guard and buff. Now it seems rather gimp and frustrating as you are forced to run a 2hander if you want to lean to the dps element. As mentioned earlier by Collateral the BO lacks those Avoidance buffs while holding a great weapon. The second you guard anything you explode, you will watch your health alot more closely and only engage in a zerg fight not too deep in; are no where near the front rower anymore and being so big you are easier to see and click, so you die often. You have to play more like a center in rugby league, off to the side and back, but position yourself still to support the front and second rowers. Unless you are in an organised group rocking focused heals and fully geared up in equipment, with at least 70rr to have a good amount of mastery and rr points for abilities then it feels a little more useful.

As a S&B Black orc you can be a big fat turtle, and that's great, at the moment I'm giving a go at a regen turtle, and I am enjoying it,......but I do also have a chosen and it still feels tankier with less attempts at trying. The chosen does struggle for AP compared to the BO, (i know about the tactic and Aura that can fix this) but with out the aids I find you can manage the BO's AP alot better due to it's mechanic.

So if your looking to level a tank to be viable at both 2hander and S&B on the destruction side I would strongly suggest a chosen; even though I would love to see more Black Orcs, you will just struggle with the 2hander until late end game.

The BG i can't comment on because i don't have a high level one. But I do run around with a BG mate, and he manages to do well solo and Duo roam both as a 2 hander and S&B.
CRUDE big boss! (Scrubs can lead too)
Yardpig- Black Orc

Schmissgesicht

Post#30 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:26 am

i cant recommend the chosen:

1) his class mechanic is non existant in ror - its a bit boring to play

2) the curses tend to bug out every now and then; in my case almost every 1 or 2 hours playtime
https://github.com/WarEmu/WarBugs/issues/11412