Recent Topics

Ads

WH or Slayer? 1st Time player

Knight of the Blazing Sun, Bright Wizard, Witch Hunter, Warrior Priest
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Nailati

WH or Slayer? 1st Time player

Post#1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi All,

Have next to no experience with Warhammer Online. Looking to try out the game. I enjoy mdps, and am interested in trying out the slayer and WH. I was looking for some input on what might be better for a new player to level up, learn the game, and pvp with. Any advice appreciated - thanks!

Ads
CountTalabecland

Re: WH or Slayer? 1st Time player

Post#2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:14 pm

It depends, if you have a grp or at least one other person who has a tank class to play with you can go Slayer. It is a heavily group dependent class in most respects. As a new player I would not recommend trying to play solo or in pick up group play, as you need a good guard to function well.

Witch Hunter is the solo/assassin class so it is much more forgiving in that regard. Also it is a much better scenario class than Slayer as your single target damage counts for more, especially when solo playing. Your stealth and burst can always be threatening, where as unguarded Slayer in scenarios is just a pin cushion.

For new player I would say go with White Lion honestly. Its mobility, burst, and utility make it the easiest to play. That is, if you can stomach it being an elf in a dress until you get the decent T4 armor.
Last edited by CountTalabecland on Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

Sulorie

Post#3 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:16 pm

No melee dd actually, as you need the knowledge, when to engage or retreat. Additionally you will be more depended on healers and tanks to support you.
Dying is no option.

Aurandilaz

Post#4 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:21 pm

WH is decent for soloplay, okayish for groups and useless in warbands.
SL is very challenging for soloplay, excellent in groups and okayish in warbands.
Now if you want to solo, WH is probably easier choice due to class designs aiming for solo playstyle. However if you want to feel useful in endgame, maybe consider slayer, as they have some purpose in warbands and endgame oRvR action.
Third order mdps pick would be WL, which is excellent in soloplay, quite decent in groups but bad like WH when it comes to warbands.
If you know you want to solo from dusk till dawn, WH/WL both are good choices. But picking Slayer is probably something your realm benefits from more, assuming you want to help your allies lock zones.

For newbie perspective, WH can be however quite harsh, due to having light armour - you take lot of dmg.
Slayer is also challenge, your rage mechanic makes you very squishy.
WL is also bit of headache, but medium armour and no rage-mechanic make it more forgiving, assuming you learn how to manage your pet.

No class is a wrong choice, but different classes with different niches have different Achilles heels, few classes are "jack of all trades". :)

Nailati

Post#5 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Sulorie wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:16 pm No melee dd actually, as you need the knowledge, when to engage or retreat. Additionally you will be more depended on healers and tanks to support you.
Any better recommendation then?

JTO112

Post#6 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:32 pm

Slayer is a toughie for a first timer. If you have to play melee WH is a good choice just because it's easier to make a choice on when and who to engage. But for a first timer I'd probably play an engineer or something until you get a feel for the game, all the classes, when to engage, when to run, how to build your stats, etc. Granted you could learn all that playing Slayer but you'll definitely stress out some tanks and healers in the process haha.

Ravenfox

Post#7 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:58 pm

They all have their "ins and outs" light armor rage mechanic certain highlights like armor debuffs, if you can choose like that then do so, otherwise avoid it at all costs and choose one you think suites you. And choosing a spec will be hard because you'll have to adapt to accomidate your spot

GodlessCrom
Suspended

Post#8 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:08 pm

Witch Hunter is pretty fun and easy to play solo. Can 1v1 just about any class in the game with the right build, and Burn Away Lies crits will make you smile. It also looks cool and can go invisible.

Much easier for a solo player to use than Slayer, which is much tougher to play solo, though it is better in a group. If you have a group that will guard and heal you, play Slayer. If you wanna solo roam and kill people on your own, play Witch Hunter.
Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king!

Ads
ajnin420
Suspended

Post#9 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:14 pm

Nailati wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:20 pm Hi All,

Have next to no experience with Warhammer Online. Looking to try out the game. I enjoy mdps, and am interested in trying out the slayer and WH. I was looking for some input on what might be better for a new player to level up, learn the game, and pvp with. Any advice appreciated - thanks!
I would not advise playing a mdps. You will be dead before you learn what you did wrong. IMO roll a tank, maybe Sword Master and go 2hnd dps spec.

Teetog

Post#10 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:31 pm

I don't think people should be telling you not to play mdps.. especially if that's what you want to do. Yes, there will be times when you get exploded and feel usless. Although, when things go well, the reward can feel much better. Aurandilaz had a very well written description of the main differences between the two classes. Do take that into consideration. I would recommend that you level both WH and slayer to the end of t1. In the grand scheme of things, the time commitment is very minimal. Get a feel for both classes as their mechanics or both very different. You may find one much more enjoyable in terms of play style. Pick your favorite. I have to also recommend WL, unless you hate the idea of pets, it's another great mdps option.