Recent Topics

Ads

Hard mode option for Dungeons

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
Yaliskah
Former Staff

Re: Hard mode option for Dungeons

Post#21 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:19 pm

GamesBond wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:45 am Aside from the hefty amount of resources needed that others mentioned, the developers and other team members are busy working on some awesome stuff that would make you forget your own suggestion ^__^
Spoiler:
A WIPE! (tutututu ----->[]

Ads
GamesBond
Former Staff

Post#22 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:53 pm

Goermsi wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:29 pm oooohhh boy.
you can't just say A and be silent on BCD.
That's exactly what I will do :D
-
Goermsi wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:29 pm little spoiler perhaps? for us? pls? :D
In time, for sure ^_^
-
Yaliskah wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:19 pm
GamesBond wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:45 am Aside from the hefty amount of resources needed that others mentioned, the developers and other team members are busy working on some awesome stuff that would make you forget your own suggestion ^__^
Spoiler:
A WIPE! (tutututu ----->[]
Yali don't be 2020's final boss :shock: :shock:

dalen
Developer

Post#23 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:38 pm

I'm not against the idea at all. But we also have three dungeons currently missing, and around 15 or so lair bosses. So probably the focus will be to get them implemented first before making additional versions of Gunbad, City Dungeons & Bastion Stairs.

But all abilities, even NPC abilities scale with level. So creating a version where all mobs and bosses are a couple of levels higher wouldn't be that difficult technically.
Source Developer

space44

Post#24 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:41 pm

dalen wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:38 pm I'm not against the idea at all. But we also have three dungeons currently missing, and around 15 or so lair bosses. So probably the focus will be to get them implemented first before making additional versions of Gunbad, City Dungeons & Bastion Stairs.

But all abilities, even NPC abilities scale with level. So creating a version where all mobs and bosses are a couple of levels higher wouldn't be that difficult technically.
so what you are saying is that in question it could be possible to implement this as a second version of an instance that is increased in difficulty
Chosen: Roten Plaguelord rr86 | Knight of the Blazing Sun: Lyntyz Jesterknight rr63

I'm not a clown, I'm the whole circus.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#25 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:08 pm

space44 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:41 pm
dalen wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:38 pm I'm not against the idea at all. But we also have three dungeons currently missing, and around 15 or so lair bosses. So probably the focus will be to get them implemented first before making additional versions of Gunbad, City Dungeons & Bastion Stairs.

so what you are saying is that in question it could be possible to implement this as a second version of an instance that is increased in difficulty
Or scaling difficulty based on the gear your team is wearing, or by cumulative renown ranks, or by overall stat totals. What is the point of a hard mode if you just wear better gear to counter the difficulty?

Hunters Vale on live was a better example of what a proper Easy/Hard mode would look like. The T1 variant was simple not in that you had weaker gear to deal with everything, but because the bosses were mechanically less complex than the T4 variant of the dungeon.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

CountTalabecland

Post#26 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:33 pm

Spoiler:
space44 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:59 pm
CountTalabecland wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:06 pm If its as “simple” as tuning up mob dmg/health yeah why not if thats what ppl want. Doubt its within the workload as others have said.

Personally I think PvE is hard enough. Gundbad is already hard to do with anyone who didnt play it 10 times on live.

For less experienced ppl the lack of tooltips or explanation of wtf is going on during PvE in this game makes for a less than enjoyable experience unless you got everyone on comms and they know generally what to do.

Plus Gunbad is still a bug ridden mess as it is, that should be the first priority fix for PvE so that ppl actuallu enjoy the first dungeon and do more of them.
PvE isn't as hard as you think where it requires someone to do Gunbad 10 times in live. That's an over exaggeration. PvE is mediocre and i can assume most people who spent time on RoR can agree, yes it can be slightly hard for newcomers and less experienced players but it usually comes up to having a party of 5 or 4 who has done it all and seen it all with 1 or 2 inexperienced people and usually those people learn quick after their second dungeon run, a lack for tooltips or explanation of whats going on isn't really an issue people usually explain the fights before they start so instead of a tooltip it is by word of mouth and its explained pretty accurately so everyone in the dungeon run has a smooth experience. Having everyone in comms isn't really necessary from my long experience being PvE focused I've had many times where communication wasn't a thing in dungeons i'm talking about dead silence no chats in the chatbox and no one wanting to use comms and still had flawless completions.

I know Gunbad is a little shaky when it comes to bugs but im talking about the wider prospective on dungeons and PvE.
Well thats probably because I don't think its hard. I've been playing here and on live long enough to know what I'm doing. The problem is that even though the PvE gear endgame has a lot of BiS gear we haven't seen huge numbers of casual people trying to it over ORvR and (shudders) pug scens. Making dungeons something that ppl want to do should be the priority. Not asking for easymode, and knowing that 80% of the pop in this game wont lift a finger if any effort whatsoever is involved, it would be nice to see more ppl doing dungeons.

I agree that hard more would be nice, but I think the devs' time is better spent making dungeons as they are more accessible/popular for people to do so that a /5 or pug Gunbad grp isn't a 5 hr ordeal. My long experience in PvE is that comms are absolutely necessary and watching ppl fail to do "simple" boss mechanics makes me want to have the Mountain gouge out my eyes. And thats without typing an entire book about what to do into chat.

I dread making a grp for Gunbad only to get to ppl AoEing the spider eggs bc they dont even know what part of their build is doing AoE or bugging out and a boss disappearing ruining 2 hours of progress and everyone leaves mid run. In my experience, boss damage is quite high enough already if you are in less than vanq gear, which if you go by the stats on red eye gear, seems a little high if you are expected to do the dungeon in anni or conq.

For causal ppl to have a solid 3-4 hours infront of the computer is hard enough without all of the mechanical jankiness piled on top.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

space44

Post#27 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:10 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:08 pm

Or scaling difficulty based on the gear your team is wearing, or by cumulative renown ranks, or by overall stat totals. What is the point of a hard mode if you just wear better gear to counter the difficulty?

Hunters Vale on live was a better example of what a proper Easy/Hard mode would look like. The T1 variant was simple not in that you had weaker gear to deal with everything, but because the bosses were mechanically less complex than the T4 variant of the dungeon.
would it be possible to add newer mechanics to boss fights that are more interactive and challenging that combines time, awareness, and preparation and maybe having the mobs use patrol patterns
Chosen: Roten Plaguelord rr86 | Knight of the Blazing Sun: Lyntyz Jesterknight rr63

I'm not a clown, I'm the whole circus.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#28 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:01 pm

space44 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:10 pm
wargrimnir wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:08 pm

would it be possible to add newer mechanics to boss fights that are more interactive and challenging that combines time, awareness, and preparation and maybe having the mobs use patrol patterns
Of course. It just takes a lot of time and effort and testing.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

Ads
bossabe

Post#29 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:11 pm

space44 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:48 pm For a pretty long time ive experienced couple of bugs from Gunbad which has been fixed pretty quick by the devs when it gets reported. Some personally notable bugs are when mobs had a larger agro radius and when mobs/bosses had quick respawn timers which in most cases made the dungeon experience more interesting than an inconvenience. The bugs that i have mentioned made dungeon runs more interactive in the way of time management between pulls and coordination of adds and the newly respawned mobs.

Ideas on how to make this happen
  • Before the entrance portal to the dungeon ports you in it gives a Normal or Hard option
  • Hard mobs/bosses gets more HP and does more damage. mobs have quicker respawns but cant be butchered, scavenged, or looted the second time around till a new instance open
  • Boss drops additional rewards for example 3 pieces of Redeye or 3 pieces of sentinel
  • random rare drops are increased slightly
  • Influence gained doubled and weekly repeatable quests for a stack of 3 or 6 high level Blue crafting mats for example Gunbad = 150 mats, BB/BE and C&T = 175 mats, and BS = 200 mats (can be subject to change when more dungeons release)
  • Hard instances can allow a closed warband of 12 members to enter
  • Hard lockout timers lasts longer than Normal and shares the same place with Normal mode timer so players cant capitalize 2 dungeon runs
  • increased currency drop for example 5 or 3 gold split between party members, final bosses drop 13 or 16 gold split between party members
  • party members can earn titles for killing all bosses in the dungeon without dying for example Gunbad: Night Goblin Slayer, BB/BE: Defiler of Gods, C&T: Acolyte of Sigmar, BS: Brass champion
This was a suggestion ive been thinking of for a long long while. Im sure the dev team has a lot of plans on their plate but this idea has been in my head for a long time and i wanted to put this out there for anyone who wants to talk about it or build upon the idea of this concept.
Good luck with everyone that will storm the place , just to remind you that this is a PVP game yadiyada... On a side note , though , good idea , and maybe would be nice to have a dungeon LFG system before 2050 :P

anarchypark

Post#30 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:29 am

space44 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:40 am The concept of hard mode is to make players feel like they need the best of the best preparation in order to defeat the challenges and obtain the rewards.

Is Reward what you really want ?
challenging play itself is concept of hard mode and driving carrot.
mission complete reward is secondary.
it's xp and gear that helps you to prepare next challenge better.
not a shortcut to reduce grind.

look at the fps, rts games.
you are same. targets get better AI, faster, more durable in hard mode.

if you need more challenge, try with 1 heal or 1 tank.
or go with undergeared first trainee.
finishing with half team dead or doing 2mens work, that's challenge.
hitting dummies longer is not.

you said pve is easy.
just curious, how did you learn dungeon mechanics.
ppl telling you or thru testing,
knows why do A and B, alternatives, improvises ?

let me think about it, higher lvl mobs might give chance to learn it anew.
SM8, SW8, AM8, WL7, KoBS6, BW6, WP8, WH7, IB8, Eng5, RP5, SL6
BG8, Sorc8, DoK8, WE7, Chs8, Mg8, Ze7, Mara8, BO6, SH7, Shm6, Chop4
SC summary - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20415
( last update : 2020.06.09)