Recent Topics

Ads

Regarding Magus and Engineer changes

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
Scottx125

Re: Regarding Magus and Engineer changes

Post#11 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:09 am

I've always liked the idea of a moving turret. If you uproot it you only get half your stacks and it only attacks targets in range of it as it follows you(it'd have to be a different model with wheels/tracks/fly). The remaining stacks get added when you stand still and the turret locks into position.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

Ads
DKSkulL

Post#12 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:23 pm

Avernus wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:50 am In 3 words - make me OP.
https://www.rvrstats.additionweb.co.uk/ take a look on this(pick all rangeDPS)

This is not "Make me OP", this is "Make me viable"
How many Engi or Magus was be on ranked? one? two?
Last edited by DKSkulL on Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

normanis

Post#13 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:12 pm

wasnt it diskussed long ago that turrets/demons should have instant spawn without tactic?
"Iron Within, Iron Without!"

Avernus

Post#14 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:27 pm

DKSkulL wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:23 pm
Avernus wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:50 am In 3 words - make me OP.
https://www.rvrstats.additionweb.co.uk/ take a see on this(pick all rangeDPS)

This is not "Make me OP", this is "Make me viable"
How many Engi or Magus was be on ranked? one? two?
Ok, i'll be honest - i think that significant part of this server's population of magus/engie is...well, bad. Like, REALLY bad. And, regrettably, a few good ones can't fix this. There is simple skill check - just watch the way a magus/engie handles his mines. Just throwing them at the enemy when they are available? Placing them before the fight starts to give the enemy free immunity? Thats your another average magus/engie.

Btw, this stat can be quite deceiving. For example, check WE/WH stats (btw its more relevent to check 70+ and 80+). You are not going to say that THIS guys, of all people, are in a bad spot and must be buffed, right?

P.S. Unlike magus, engie in a much worse position.

DirkDaring

Post#15 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:43 pm

On live esp after the RR was increased above 80, the Eng had trouble being effective. Some of the biggest issues was armor creep, where each new set had increased armor, and eng single target damage needed high armor pentration, which it lacked in their rifleman kit.

Their grenades, and Tinker trees, were mostly based around dot damage, which needed ballistic skill, however all their dots, were long duration, low damage, which were easily healed through, and cleansed. This resulted in nothing more than fluff damage, which most just stood n it, and used the low damage to build morals for push.

The only thing they had going for them was magnet, and AP turret, AOE heal keg, coordinated fire tactic,
The heal keg was changed to be only group instead of AOE, then they added changes to turret, to give damage buff, as well as a Armor debuff buff, and reduced the length, of dots, while slightly increasing the dot damage, but still they were a semi weak class.

Tisaya

Post#16 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:06 pm

Magus is currently absolute beast and trashes anyone even 1 vs 1. The nerf is welcome. You just can't have so much control, survivability and damage. Not at the same time.

On live, the whole point of magus/engineer was "I trade some damage for lots of utility". Then they got damage buff, for some reason, while keeping all their insane utility.

lumpi33

Post#17 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:36 am

Tisaya wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:06 pm Magus is currently absolute beast and trashes anyone even 1 vs 1. The nerf is welcome. You just can't have so much control, survivability and damage. Not at the same time.

On live, the whole point of magus/engineer was "I trade some damage for lots of utility". Then they got damage buff, for some reason, while keeping all their insane utility.
It is somehow true but on the other hand what about: WE/WH, dps shaman/AM, regen chosen/ib, melee/shield WP/DoK, Maras? They are all monsters in 1:1. Even a sorc/bw can be nasty when played right in 1:1.

The thing that makes Magus a bit over the top is the stacking armor buff in combination with self absorb proc (less crit damage also), the Aegis of Orange Fire and the strong Indigo Fire of Change channel. They have high armor, auto absorb, 2 heal potions, 1 absorb potion and Aegis. And then they can also get defensive procs on gear. That's a lot you have to burn through and they dot you up and burn you down with channel. No matter which target because it's magical damage.

Basically every class with absorbs stands out a bit over the rest. The absorb not only absorbs damage but also reduces crits / crit damage. It's a two in one and very strong. No matter on which class. I still don't get why a bubble also prevents/reduces crits. Balancewise this brings more negative impacts than positive. Like critting people without absorbs for a ton of damage and hitting people with procs for literally nothing. Think about a group with e.g. Zealot, Dok, Chosen, BG, WE, Mara. It's a classic and strong setup. Start counting the absorbs they are having... A TON. And how much damage do pugs on them? Literally zero. Im telling you, these absorbs are the main reason for a lot of balances issues. Be it in 1:1, 6:6 or anywhere else.

Same with magical damage. In an high armor and armor stacking meta it is superior to every physical damage dealer unless you have a 50% armor pierce tactic or super high damage with class mechanic like Slayer/Choppas or some kind of armor ignore like WE/WH. Now if you think about the more powerful classes... that's exactly what they have and classes like Engi sniper/tinkerer are performing so poorly. Even with a 25% armor pierce tactic they would have to give up a tactic slot and put points into weaponskill, giving up survivability/utility/damage. Magus doesn't have to do that.

bw10

Post#18 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:34 am

Tisaya wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:06 pm Magus is currently absolute beast and trashes anyone even 1 vs 1. The nerf is welcome. You just can't have so much control, survivability and damage. Not at the same time.

to know which classes do well is to see what people are crying about on the forums. not magus

Ads
Phantasm

Post#19 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:06 am

Its always funny for me when someone is calling for balance when comparing classes in 1 vs 1 environment. Can you name a single magus that regularly is a member of organized Warbands or 6 mans (not /5 groups)? Its stationary nature outweighs any benefits of having one in a group.
As Msh I can easly die in Knockdown duration to SW and WH, but I understand their niche role created by RoR team and its fine with me.

Avernus

Post#20 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:53 am

Phantasm wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:06 am Its always funny for me when someone is calling for balance when comparing classes in 1 vs 1 environment. Can you name a single magus that regularly is a member of organized Warbands or 6 mans (not /5 groups)? Its stationary nature outweighs any benefits of having one in a group.
Engie and magus are still have 1 specific role for warband - pullbot. For obvious reasons, while magnet engies are good for large-scale combat (its not like order have a choice anyway), there is no reason to pick magus riftbot.