Recent Topics

Ads

Role of 2H SM: Backlines Bodyguard

Let's talk about... everything else
Azarael

Re: Role of 2H SM: Backlines Bodyguard

Post#41 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:24 pm

Coryphaus wrote:Off classing isnt ment to be "viable" its ment to be fun and for screwing around and the dmg they deal while not at the lvl of true mdps is still pretty high
I'd be interested in a source for that view. My own view is that a spec exists, there needs to be a place for it outside of noob bashing and trolling around. If there isn't, it might as well not exist.
Bozzax wrote:Personally I'd go very slowly and step by step. As pointed out tanks are far from weak even though I think 2h-ers fall short of their SnB brothers (even more so in group play).
Of course.

Ads
Coryphaus

Post#42 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:40 pm

Azarael wrote:
I'd be interested in a source for that view. My own view is that a spec exists, there needs to be a place for it outside of noob bashing and trolling around. If there isn't, it might as well not exist.

Of course.

No source just an opinion, their are many specs for one reason or another are inferior and their fore no one pays attention to it, they accept that its bad and never really touch it like choppa AoE tree, melee herder , wl axe man to name a few off the top of my head

In standard 6 mans i dont see 2h being viable b/c their squishy and are not effective guards

Doodoopeepee

Post#43 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:14 pm

Wow, had no idea this would turn into what it has. Penril - great suggestions, seriously. Well done!

For tanks specifically, their problem is the lack of a niche/role in high-lvl coordinated group play. They can pubstomp all day, but that's really not good enough. I think the ability to remove guard and/or be able to simply ignore it is a great solution.

As for implementation, I like Penril's idea of removing it from the tank, and triggering a CD of x seconds. This makes it so the window is guaranteed, similarly to all other forms of CC needed to break up the deathball.

While this is a great way to give 2H tanks a role in high-level play, it does not solve the issue of 2H vs. SnB for dps. Now, we have MDPS to do dps. That's their job. 2H Tanks simply need a niche. My suggestion is buffing one of the most well-done pvp mechanics I've seen in an MMO: Taunt.

I love the Taunt mechanic: it's supposed to force people to turn and attack the tank, effectively acting like a real taunt does in PvE. It takes the heat off of your allies, allowing you and your superior armor/toughness to absorb blows. The problem is that it only lasts for 1-2 globals, so 1-2 seconds, sometime even less versus dual-wielders. And since 2H Tank dps isn't that great, it can be ignored anyway. I think the goal of a 2H tank is still to provide support, but the support he provides is tied to his DPS.

My suggestion is three-fold:
  1. 2H Tanks can extend the amount of hits required to remove Taunt to 6. This would increase the time it takes for the target to be "taunted" to 3-5 seconds, further helping out allies by taking the heat off of them, and increasing the tanks DPS-uptime slightly.
  2. While a target is Taunted, they cannot Detaunt the tank. However, if a tank is already Detaunted he cannot Taunt the target. This REALLY forces other DPS to turn and attack the tank, but still allows counterplay.
  3. Everytime a guarded ally is hit, the damage bonus of your Taunt go up by 2%, up to a max of +20% (50% total). The bonus is dropped if Guard is removed from that ally, or your ally dies. So here we can give 2H Guard a purpose! They will take a lot of damage, but gain a 20% damage bonus to Taunt, which can still also be removed/negated. They also need to find a balance (or good guard target) of who will take hits, but won't die before you can get your Taunt off.
The goal of these changes is to make 2H Tanks a big threat to Taunted targets, but otherwise they won't do a whole lot of damage...whereas MDPS are always doing full damage, all the time. We do not want 2H Tanks to replace MDPS! I think 2H Tanks should be a battering ram used to make opening for the real DPS to get in and mess enemies up.

Obviously, all of these Taunt changes would be made 2H specific by either tying them to an ability or Tactic that requires a 2H equipped. Or, it could be that Taunt itself is changed while a 2H is equipped (effectively making two versions: one for SnB, and for for 2H).

Edenwolf

Post#44 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:24 pm

Doodoopeepee wrote:Wow, had no idea this would turn into what it has. Penril - great suggestions, seriously. Well done!

For tanks specifically, their problem is the lack of a niche/role in high-lvl coordinated group play. They can pubstomp all day, but that's really not good enough. I think the ability to remove guard and/or be able to simply ignore it is a great solution.

As for implementation, I like Penril's idea of removing it from the tank, and triggering a CD of x seconds. This makes it so the window is guaranteed, similarly to all other forms of CC needed to break up the deathball.

While this is a great way to give 2H tanks a role in high-level play, it does not solve the issue of 2H vs. SnB for dps. Now, we have MDPS to do dps. That's their job. 2H Tanks simply need a niche. My suggestion is buffing one of the most well-done pvp mechanics I've seen in an MMO: Taunt.

I love the Taunt mechanic: it's supposed to force people to turn and attack the tank, effectively acting like a real taunt does in PvE. It takes the heat off of your allies, allowing you and your superior armor/toughness to absorb blows. The problem is that it only lasts for 1-2 globals, so 1-2 seconds, sometime even less versus dual-wielders. And since 2H Tank dps isn't that great, it can be ignored anyway. I think the goal of a 2H tank is still to provide support, but the support he provides is tied to his DPS.

My suggestion is three-fold:
  1. 2H Tanks can extend the amount of hits required to remove Taunt to 6. This would increase the time it takes for the target to be "taunted" to 3-5 seconds, further helping out allies by taking the heat off of them, and increasing the tanks DPS-uptime slightly.
  2. While a target is Taunted, they cannot Detaunt the tank. However, if a tank is already Detaunted he cannot Taunt the target. This REALLY forces other DPS to turn and attack the tank, but still allows counterplay.
  3. Everytime a guarded ally is hit, the damage bonus of your Taunt go up by 2%, up to a max of +20% (50% total). The bonus is dropped if Guard is removed from that ally, or your ally dies. So here we can give 2H Guard a purpose! They will take a lot of damage, but gain a 20% damage bonus to Taunt, which can still also be removed/negated. They also need to find a balance (or good guard target) of who will take hits, but won't die before you can get your Taunt off.
The goal of these changes is to make 2H Tanks a big threat to Taunted targets, but otherwise they won't do a whole lot of damage...whereas MDPS are always doing full damage, all the time. We do not want 2H Tanks to replace MDPS! I think 2H Tanks should be a battering ram used to make opening for the real DPS to get in and mess enemies up.

Obviously, all of these Taunt changes would be made 2H specific by either tying them to an ability or Tactic that requires a 2H equipped. Or, it could be that Taunt itself is changed while a 2H is equipped (effectively making two versions: one for SnB, and for for 2H).
So much yes!
Bigfugginaxe SL ~ Blueshift MA ~ Healzealot ZL ~ Stalhrinn IB ~ Tarielle SW ~ Damngurl WE ~ Jediknight SM ~ Windsong AM

Coryphaus

Post#45 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:26 pm

Ok first off just b/c you taunt a target dosnt mean you debuff the enemys dmg vs allies only challenge does that furthermore an upwards 20% dmg boost sound freakin ridiculous and over the top

Penril

Post#46 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:41 pm

Doodoopeepee wrote:
Yeah after giving it some thought, i also would prefer this one. SnB tanks are able to negate a lot of guard damage and therefore in my head it makes sense to give 2H tanks a way to remove guard from their targets (just for a couple seconds). The CD on guard is necessary, otherwise good tanks will immediately reapply guard (or worse: NerfedButtons will do it for you).

It would indirectly buff SMs and BOs too since they wouldn't desperately need a ST punt anymore in order to move an enemy tank out of guard range; they could simply just remove guard for 5 secs and assist his group in bringing the unguarded enemy down.

I'm not a big fan of increasing Taunt's duration or damage because i feel tanks should contribute with utility and CC, even while using a 2H. Besides, Black Orcs do a lot of damage already.

Coryphaus

Post#47 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:47 pm

DPS can deal the dmg they can do b/c they can rely on guard to protect them and act as a safety net; especially, fragile glass cannons.

Adding guard cd will hurt guard floating and mdps and tanks in a party will have to fall back every time they see a 2h tank

To even consider these radical suggestions when considering the negative ramifications these changes can have boggles my mind.

Penril

Post#48 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:00 pm

Coryphaus wrote:DPS can deal the dmg they can do b/c they can rely on guard to protect them and act as a safety net; especially, fragile glass cannons.

Adding guard cd will hurt guard floating and mdps and tanks in a party will have to fall back every time they see a 2h tank

To even consider these radical suggestions when considering the negative ramifications these changes can have boggles my mind.
I don't think you understand what was suggested. No one ever said guard should have a CD. What was suggested was that 2H tanks could slot a tactic (12 points sound good to me) that would change one of his skills (a 20 sec CD skill) so it removes any active guard an enemy tank might have, and give it a 5 sec CD (just for that firs reapply). In other words:

SnB Ironbreaker is guarding an AM. A 2H BO has that tactic (let's say it is GaBC) and uses NidF (has a 20 sec CD) on the IB. Now the AM is unguarded and the IB can't reapply guard for 5 seconds. Destro tries to kill the AM but he detaunts, AoE punts, whatever... and survives. The IB reapplies guard after 5 seconds and now the BO can't remove guard for another 25 seconds.

If you still think this is too much, maybe you could make it so the guard removal only works if the enemy target is not Unstoppable or Immovable (i prefer Unstoppable). Example:

SnB IB is guarding an AM. A 2H BO tries to remove guard from the IB but he is Unstoppable (he got staggered 10 seconds ago). The guard removal doesn't work (however all other bonuses from NiDF and GaBC still apply) and the BO can't try to do that again for 20 seconds.

Another option would be to apply the guard removal on the guardee and not on the enemy tank, while giving the guardee a 5 sec debuff where he can't be guarded by anyone. This way the enemy tank will still be able to float guard to his other groupmates but not the original one (for 5 secs).

I'm sorry but i fail to see how this would be OP, game breaking or even slightly detrimental for mDPS classes.

Ads
Aquilon

Post#49 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:23 pm

Just a thought: to make 2h on par with S&B (or close to) Guard and staying within 30 ft. range could grant a tank bonus to parry, dodge and disrupt. From 10% to 40%, maybe?
Means determine end.

skutrug

Post#50 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:45 pm

I don't think the point of the discussion was to increase the defensive abilities of 2-H tanks - we all understand that WAR is build on the concept of trade-off: You want to do damages, you must be willing to take the punishement as well. Unfortunately, as Azarael pointed out, 2-H tanks lose the defenses without gaining significant offensive capabilities. The idea was to try increasing the offense in some way. Guard removal amount to a 50% increase in damages for a number of seconds, a very serious threat coming from a 2-H tank (although I doubt it will make a group of choppas run back as someone suggested above ;-) )
Let's face it: 2 classes of tanks already have guard removal - It's called "punt the tank more than 30' from his guardee. SM/BO don't have that. I support the idea of altering one of their abilities to remove guard on a target and give a limited debuff preventing the immediat reapplication of the guard. I prefer that to putting a CD on guard because it appears unnecessary to limit the ability of every other tank to float guard. I am against putting it on 2-H weapons since the idea was to improve the role of BO and SM, not buff 2-H choppas and slayers. Chosen/Knights and BG/IB can punt if they want to remove guard. Altering one ability of BO and SM is unlikely to have widespread unintended consequences.
We can always buff other tanks or mdps if suddenly we start seeing scenarios with only BO and shammies ... although it sure would be funny ;-)
“You go to WAR with the Pugs you have, not the Premades you might want or wish you had”