Recent Topics

Ads

Killboard KDR should be removed!

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
Beasted

Re: Killboard KDR should be removed!

Post#61 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 7:17 am

I would take it down. Everyone that enjoys competition wants a way to quantify their success, but the kill board is a terrible tool for that. However while it is available, that is the frame through which people will view class performance. There is also zero context to the numbers, so it invites misinterpretation and misuse as justification for game changes. Obsession with KDR is cringe tbh, it fosters toxic behavior and disincentivizes team play, it also makes people lazy when it comes to class performance analysis.

Ads
akisnaakkeli

Post#62 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:17 am

Killboard showing 1v2+ as solo kills if the healer only healed so yeah remove it sure. And for the PuG WB leaders. Also Npc box runner back pls nobody likes running them. Guards on bo and 3 min cap 10m def and lock 5+min.

Get the old reward system on top of the current personal one that drops 4 gold 8purple 16blue addjust numbers based on players etc but actual set pieces in goldbags, with new weapons with new procs in purples. Bop. Blue could have jewelries, cloaks and belts with talisman slots and good stat wpns but no Proc.

Do the same to Forts as well and cities, and remove the timers from city and lotd, bring old lotd back while at it, Add Warchests giving 2500 Warcrests from rr60+people dropped very rarely.

And bring back up to all variations of sovereign and warlord gloves/boots dropping in pvp from rr50 rr60 and rr70 and Boe.

Rewards like good and rare wow drops from kills and actual gear sets/good proc wpns go a long way. Bring back the old keep defender buff that gave up to 50-60% speed. Rebirth in Keeps when front door is down. Lifetapping and Melee Healing from/thru keep door and ranged, melees could use their dots as dmg to keep door.

tromat

Post#63 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:47 am

Garamore wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:56 pm It only has to change the playstyle of 1-2 wb leaders to have a massive effect on rvr. Certain wb leaders have got more defensive and only engage with a /t4 zerg. Yes they did it before, yes the would do it again if it was removed but I think they would do it less.

I'd keep the kills just remove the deaths. Give rewards for top 10 guilds with most kills in rvr per week. That way your encouraging people to stay in the lakes to chase kills even when getting wiped and encouraging people to join bigger guilds. RvR a lot better with 4-6 wbs out in the lakes.
This is the best one here tbh, i think we could totally do that (akin to the month campagin in Cyrodiil - Eso)
No deaths displayed, kills, and the guilds who kills the most got more rewards in the end of the month !

For the KDR subject, as i am very vocal on this (like the author) on RoR Discord, i will add i agree with all what he said in the first post.

My guild is not directly concerned (i am Cross GM), because as you can see we died a lot thoses past months and still actively looking for fights.

But all the negative effects of showing deaths permanently are surely hindering more people and guilds than you realize, and we got overall less fights in RvR than we should have

It's like a permanent scar for some people.
Last edited by tromat on Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cyrylius

Post#64 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 8:48 am

Let me be the devil's advocate here. Deaths are actually a metric of how well a player does, in many different cases. Just not as a flat k/d value. Healer with little deaths over his/her career is presumably better at positioning and reading fights than one who dies all the time. And for a healer ability to not die is insanely significant. I know of guilds that judge the healers not on heal numbers but on heal numbers divided by damage taken since that means a player who not only heals but also does that consistently and with minimal support.
In a weird way it also applies to tanks, both in orvr and in smallscale. Tanks have a lot of tools to control the fight, and ideally efficient use of those should often allow for deathless disengagement - that's basically the principle of fighting bigger numbers and kiting them. Again, tanks with better k/d will oftentimes be better.
Finally, from personal experience, playing dps while getting to preserve k/d is genuinely harder than not worrying about it - which is why I don't really play for k/d.
While general statistic doesn't let anyone get any conclusions based on those factors, checking someone's statistics after, say, three hours of orvr will say a lot about how good the positioning and awareness of a given player actually is. And about the actual k/d: how about you can choose whether you want it shown or not? Or only show top percentage? It was already discussed in regards to ranked leaderboards and those were the solutions thought up there, I'm rather convinced they would also apply to the killboard issue.
RoR doesnt deserve being taken seriously.

CountTalabecland

Post#65 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:34 am

Look at how well putting metrics like this in the game worked for ranked scens. I.e. the toxic wasteland ppl would rather avoid to get 10k crests for 1 piece of jewelry than play.

This is not CoD, no one should care what your global K/D is in an MMO where you may have had that toon for a decade.

This tool causes harm and does nothing good in return.
Brynnoth Goldenbeard (40/80) (IB) -- Rundin Fireheart (40/50) (RP) -- Ungrinn (40/40) (Engi)-- Bramm Bloodaxe (40/83) (Slayer) and a few Empire characters here or there, maybe even an elf.

Sulorie

Post#66 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:38 am

For smaller guilds who run 6-12 man, the motivation is often to have as many kills as possible, while dying less than guilds with similar kill numbers. The top killing guilds usually die even more than they kill, they lead just by having more players. There is a lot context to keep in mind, when looking at tank/healer K/D but on a DPS class it is pretty telling how careless someone plays. Charging to front line, melt, respawn and repeat shouldn't be rewarded by removing statistics. Those players don't look at numbers anyway and in any other case it is up to the player who reads the statistics to make sense of them. When someone complains about poor DD class performance and other classes being op, then a negative K/D will tell at least one thing, those players don't care whether they live or die.
Furthermore this means healers are affected too, because they "waste" healing on teammates who don't care at all or simply don't know when to engage or wait for an opportunity.
It's not like players will behave different, we didn't had statistics pages like this on live.
At worst we get more people to push mindlessly for the slim chance on a kill, because it doesn't matter how often you die for a single kill.
Dying is no option.

Sulorie

Post#67 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:41 am

CountTalabecland wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:34 am Look at how well putting metrics like this in the game worked for ranked scens. I.e. the toxic wasteland ppl would rather avoid to get 10k crests for 1 piece of jewelry than play.

This is not CoD, no one should care what your global K/D is in an MMO where you may have had that toon for a decade.

This tool causes harm and does nothing good in return.
Ranked is toxic because you need voice chat and people are not joining disc for various reasons. Furthermore every individual player is important and strange specs lower your individual winning chances, because you depend on 5 others to not drop in rank. This means you can play well and others make you lose and you actually lose something compared to normal SC.
Dying is no option.

Moonbiter

Post#68 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:43 am

I like the killboard, but I agree it could be discouraging for many players. May be it should be private. My results only. As I see them at Deathblow addon.

Ads
Culexus

Post#69 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:02 am

As many have said here, just allow the player to view their own k/d ratio but hide it from public view. Having it displayed publicly seems to have no upside and a thousand downsides. It's not exactly unusual for peoples egos to form a sense of personal identity from their performance in a game so if they lose they feel it reflects on them as a person.

The stat system is flawed anyway and only really applies to dps as tank/healers are going to have a higher deaths to kills just from the nature of the class. Same goes for people that mainly run in pug wbs or solo queue sc compared to those that only go out in proper organised groups. And let not forget the players with a huge number of solo kills over deaths that make them look like solo gods, but in reality they just run around with a pocket healer or 2.
Bigun - 85 Black Orc
Brian - 70+ Choppa
Taff - 70+ Warrior Priest
Karak Norn Veteran

mazi761111

Post#70 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:37 pm

i like killbord ..It can be viewed where the active player is, it is very convenient
choson:badchosen
chopa:bigpanties