Recent Topics

Ads

Advice for chosen, help me understand how to be a good tank.

Chosen, Magus, Marauder, Zealot
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
xanderous

Advice for chosen, help me understand how to be a good tank.

Post#1 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:23 am

Ok so i have been playing chosen for a little while now and i have a few questions to ask regarding what i should be doing, first of.......

What stats should i focus in, strength, weapon skill and toughness or strength, toughness and wounds?

Which masteries should i focus on, link any builds that are good for tanking please, i use sword and board btw, thanks.
Bashgutz RR82 Borc Vaseryn RR61 SM Krantz RR82 Knight Corvinus RR70 Chosen Mormonty RR72 IB
Starkus RR70 BG Snaptz RR83 SH Plagueis RR81 Magus Alec RR85 Engie Sourgazt RR69 Shaman
Kreaver RR80 Marauder Dugald RR75 Slayer

Ads
spikespiegel84

Re: Advice for chosen, help me understand how to be a good tank.

Post#2 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:34 am

Armor for talismans, and wounds, plus toughness if you want to be turtle tank. Then go for a tri spec mastery. Dread up to Action point aura, corruption up to downfall and discordance up to quake. This is the tankier and easier to play. My toughness + my aura is 900, armor I get around 4700 with potions.
Your renown should go all in block rating, parry and dodge/disrupt.

Dalgrimar

Post#3 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:34 am

I go this on chosen: RoR.builders - Chosen

I swap juggernaut tactic for Siphoned Energie for RvR.
At rr40 i go full RD3 and rest in block.
Dalgri - Ftp/Sens - Sadboi - Fanboy

utube
twitch

zupaH

Post#4 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:12 am

There's a couple of good specs and routes you can go with Chosen, as they are very versatile. You can either go the above specs mentioned as a type of "turtle tank" whilst tri-speccing, or you can go a 2 handed route, while keeping your tankiness. This is the 2 handed spec I recommend:
http://waronlinebuilder.org/#career=cho ... :4791:4792:
With that you can either go into Corruption for the knockdown, or go into Discord and grab Quake. For oRvR I really recommend grabbing Siphoned Energy in either spec, considering how good it can be :)
Tootlez/Egron/Snotstickz/Kaiju
<Schweinejungs>

twitch.tv/tootlez1

zupaH

Post#5 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:15 am

In a 2 handed spec I'd go RD 3 as you need it for mobility, and go a mixture of Toughness and Armor for talismans, some people go full armor, others go Full Toughness. I went 3 Toughness 2 Armor. With your remaining points you should be going into Deft Defender, since you'll be at a disadvantage against casters/ranged when you're unable to Hold The Line.
Wont really need parry nor crit chance, since you'll be gaining a bunch going for the tactic and using Suppression :)
Tootlez/Egron/Snotstickz/Kaiju
<Schweinejungs>

twitch.tv/tootlez1

spikespiegel84

Post#6 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:22 am

If you go 2 hands, go for quake. You want simply to lower your target spiritual resistance and drop a decent ravage on his forehead.

Luuca

Post#7 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:52 am

How you talis and spec your chosen depends upon your renown rank and gear level. It sounds to me like you are a newer, low renown rank Chosen. Here is my recomendations.

RUIN: is the defensive set. Run the ruin PQ for the full set for the 5% block. If sub RR 40, put points into Dodge/Disrupt until you have at least 10%, block from renown up to +5% (total of 10% with ruin) and the rest in initiative to lower your % chance to be crit. Renown you should take Right Tree to Quake, Mid tree to Mixed defenses tactic, and eventually work up to the Knock down.

Tactics should be: Rugged, Mixed defenses, Flawless Armor, and Destined for victory. Use Hastened Dismissal if you are in Tor Anroc or if you are guarding healers and need to peel off MDPS or Tanks from guarding the MDPS on your healers. Remember to snare them BEFORE you punt them. HD subs in for DfV IMO.

Talismans: I would use 3 +20 (or better) Toughness talis and 2 +20 (or better) strength Talis. I say strength because without some strength, your CC will get blocked and parried more often. use the 80 STR pots

Potions: use the 660 armor pots and the 80 STR pots

Your role in this gear is guard, cc, HtL, peel off attackers for healer, and assist melee train. Use suppression whenever it's up, be sure to Sever Blessing on the focus target whenever its up, and use your snare so dps doesn't have to. Blast wave for wounds debuff whenever you are near focus target. Touch of Palsy on runners or players who strafe/kite a lot like WH.

Auras: Toughness, Resist, and Spell Reflect for now.

R1 Morale should be Champions Challenge to lock down focus targets that have self punt or kite well or to separate the healer from his group/guard for the melee train. R2 is the 100% block, R3 the 50% damage reduction, R4 RD

OgiWanBG

Post#8 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:28 pm

Luuca wrote:How you talis and spec your chosen depends upon your renown rank and gear level. It sounds to me like you are a newer, low renown rank Chosen. Here is my recomendations.

RUIN: is the defensive set. Run the ruin PQ for the full set for the 5% block. If sub RR 40, put points into Dodge/Disrupt until you have at least 10%, block from renown up to +5% (total of 10% with ruin) and the rest in initiative to lower your % chance to be crit. Renown you should take Right Tree to Quake, Mid tree to Mixed defenses tactic, and eventually work up to the Knock down.

Tactics should be: Rugged, Mixed defenses, Flawless Armor, and Destined for victory. Use Hastened Dismissal if you are in Tor Anroc or if you are guarding healers and need to peel off MDPS or Tanks from guarding the MDPS on your healers. Remember to snare them BEFORE you punt them. HD subs in for DfV IMO.

Talismans: I would use 3 +20 (or better) Toughness talis and 2 +20 (or better) strength Talis. I say strength because without some strength, your CC will get blocked and parried more often. use the 80 STR pots

Your role in this gear is guard, cc, HtL, peel off attackers for healer, and assist melee train. Use suppression whenever it's up, be sure to Sever Blessing on the focus target whenever its up, and use your snare so dps doesn't have to. Blast wave for wounds debuff whenever you are near focus target. Touch of Palsy on runners or players who strafe/kite a lot like WH.

R1 Morale should be Champions Challenge to lock down focus targets that have self punt or kite well or to separate the healer from his group/guard for the melee train. R2 is the 100% block, R3 the 50% damage reduction, R4 RD

Any suggestions/builds orientated more for DPSing ?
Thanks
Optimuss - WL - rr57
Ogimir - SW - rr65

Ads
Luuca

Post#9 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:45 pm

OgiWanBG wrote:
Luuca wrote:How you talis and spec your chosen depends upon your renown rank and gear level. It sounds to me like you are a newer, low renown rank Chosen. Here is my recomendations.

Any suggestions/builds orientated more for DPSing ?
Thanks
If you are going to try and "DPS" as a Axe and Shield Chosen, do not expect great results. You are basically a nerfed single target dpser. This SnB "DPS" build is designed to simply increase your damage output to help your team get over that hump in killing tough healers and guarded Mdps/Rdps. For true DPS Chosen, you'll want to run a two-hander build and I am not an expert at that having never played it or any real length of time. That said, if you want more damage, you're going to want to be 40+ RR and for best results run the Mercenary set 5/5 for the +5% crit. Slot 3 +20 (or better) STR talis and 2 +20 (or better) Weapon Skill talis. Use STR or WS talis in your weapon and shield. Weapon skill is important to mitigate armor.

The Merc set has decent STR but is lacking Toughness, so you will trade dps for toughness, but you will not be squishy by any means. Use a STR +80 potion to get your STR up around 600+. Use the 660 Armor Pots.

I have found that you can produce some decent DPS numbers while still maintaining your duties as Guardbot by concentrating on placing bleeds and barbs on targets. Follow the main dpser in your group, guard them, and use abilities in this general order; snare, seeping wound, blast wave, touch of palsy, tooth of Tz, ravage.

It is important to remember that as a SnB Chosen, you still have to perform all the battlefield control CC and taunts/challenge you HAVE to do for your team to win. Just because you have more damage does NOT mean you can ignore your role. If you do, everyone dies and you die last. One way we can do both is through AP management. It is important to watch your AP, so run a sequence like the abilities in the string above on a target and then reassess your target and AP needs. Spamming ravage will do damage, but run you dry of AP just when you need to punt, HTL or KD a target.

Spec at RR40 is right tree to Quake, Middle tree to KD (skipping Mixed Defenses) and the rest of the point in Left tree like this: http://www.ror.builders/career/chosen/s ... 06,4797&t=

The points in dread will increase your damage on those abilities as well but the added AP is a great tool for your whole DPS train. I run the last points up the Left tree and get the AP aura. This helps your entire DPS train and slows the opposition DPS a bit.

Auras for this build vary depending upon your group composition but include the two requisite Toughness and Resists. As I said above I run either the AP drain/Refill aura or the Discordant Fluctuation against a BW/AM heavy group. As always coordinate with any other chosen in group for best mix.

Tactics for this build I run Toughness, Flawless armor, Destined for Victory, and Hastened dismissal.
Hastened dismissal is used to punt tanks off their guard targets for the dps train. Be sure to snare them before you punt.

Morales, R1 use Demolishing Strike for the Armor debuff on light and medium armor targets and the 900 damage doesn't hurt either. R2 is Raze. Use Raze at choke points and to interrupt flag pick-ups in SCs. R3 and R4 use the damage mitigation. In this build, I find myself using the R1 a lot to get targets down faster and boost my dps numbers. with the armor debuff and the STR/WS build, you will hit harder.

Renown spec: I still take dodge & disrupt to just before max, grab 2% Crit for 5 points, then move to 2 stages of Parry (with Suppression it helps) From there I take Weapon skill for the remaining points. and "spare" points, i stick in either STR ot Toughness. This will vary based upon your renown rank.

If you have Crit jewelry, wear it STR CRIT preferred, but +crit helps a lot. Jewelry should be STR and WS, but play with those to see how squishy you become. I use the Worldbreaker 3-piece set for the resists and on STR/WS ring usually to help protect against BWs and engie corp and elemental.

hope this helps. Again, this is all opinion. I'm sure there's other players with great ideas and specs.

cemen

Post#10 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:47 pm

OgiWanBG wrote: Any suggestions/builds orientated more for DPSing ?
Thanks
For chosen youll want to go 2h, try using the run speed proc sword or the defensive proc sword. You want to get as much str as possible, 1050 buffed being preferable, but at least 1000 to help with weaponskill/parry strike-through. easy way is to run 3pc merc, 2pc duelist and full RR points into might. use str jewelry but make sure to prioritize corporeal and elemental resist. you want those around 950+ each, buffed with your aura. Also stack parry as a secondary stat. You get crit from items and tactics.

Here's the renown spec you want to shoot for. Get quick escape before the last level of might, IMO.

http://waronlinebuilder.org/#renown;500 ... 0001000000

Here's career spec:
http://waronlinebuilder.org/#career=cho ... 0:;0:0:0:0:

on the tactics, you can swap rugged for critical suppression or quickened discord (quickened discord adds a lot of dps) but I would run rugged until you can get you armor to 4000 and your resists capped.

Basic gameplay tactics are: find an mdps and guard them, use rending blade every time it's up to keep crippling strikes applied. stack seeping wound and tough of palsy before you dps a character, unless they are below 30% hp... in which case spam DD attacks (tooth of tnzeetch, ravage) to try and burst them down.

If you're the only tank with a bunch of rdps, just try and keep pressure on the enemy squishy rdps or healers, and allow you RDPS space to kill over extending enemies.
Pouncepouncepouncepouncepounce