Recent Topics

Ads

Don't want new players?

Let's talk about... everything else
elchooki

Don't want new players?

Post#1 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:09 pm

:?: I don't understand you but I don't want to bring you down either. I just want to understand.

I come back to this game and see the same things over and over again year after year.

The game experience for newbies is negative as soon as we come out of T1. In SC, the bolster 16-25 does not allow to have a balanced game with players 30-39. The meetings are very rarely balanced and we meet premades, we who just want to play quietly without seeking optimization. Results we wait for the sc to finish pushing back in our camp without being able to do anything. whatever our kingdom. Hooo Its fun...

I'm not even talking about the open. Because there we meet the rr80 and then there ....

Are you aware of this?

Is having new players a goal for you? or do you just want to stay with the same players?

Because as it is, your system does not make new players want to stay. Only old players who can overstuff their character can get away with it, and then only if they are not up against an extremely optimized war machine.

Ads
wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Re: Don't want new players?

Post#2 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:13 pm

Understood.

"we who just want to play quietly without seeking optimization"

Kind of says it all doesn't it. If you don't want to play at a level that everyone else aspires to in a competitive game, then you won't win. There are systems and mechanics in place that allow lower tier players to compete. Your choice whether or not to use them.
[email protected] for exploits and cheaters.
grimnir.me Some old WAR blog

cynicprophet

Post#3 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:14 pm

If you do not like do not play mate,its a growing server with nice community.

Evilest

Post#4 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:16 pm

elchooki wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:09 pm :?: I don't understand you but I don't want to bring you down either. I just want to understand.

I come back to this game and see the same things over and over again year after year.

The game experience for newbies is negative as soon as we come out of T1. In SC, the bolster 16-25 does not allow to have a balanced game with players 30-39. The meetings are very rarely balanced and we meet premades, we who just want to play quietly without seeking optimization.
If you play suboptimally (ie, without seeking optimization) your best best for a better experience is running with superior numbers. It's true that it doesn't help in scenarios, but at least it does in RVR. So maybe this time stay and try to find more people to join up with?

elchooki

Post#5 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:20 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:13 pm Understood.

Kind of says it all doesn't it. If you don't want to play at a level that everyone else aspires to in a competitive game, then you won't win. There are systems and mechanics in place that allow lower tier players to compete. Your choice whether or not to use them.
You did not understand my message. I didn't say I didn't want to go in the direction of competitive play but how do you get there when we get rolled over our way out of the sandbox?

I therefore repeat my question since you are here. Are you aware of what the gaming experience is for new players?

Powell

Post#6 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:21 pm

cynicprophet wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:14 pm If you do not like do not play mate,its a growing server with nice community.
False, population had a boost 2 years ago after the lazy peon video, max haymen had to increase server population for it. Since then population dropped off to being where it was before the video. Peak player counts are around 1200-1600.

Most of the problems this server suffers from is a population issue (looking at you ranked brackets).

We had a slight bump in population at the beginning of may due to college and schools being off doe summer. Which again has flattened back out.

I wish we had a concurrent player chart like steam does but this is all from memory. Sorry for any errors.

I wouldn't mind more new homies on the server.

cynicprophet

Post#7 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:22 pm

Always low pop in summer times its okay.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#8 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:24 pm

elchooki wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:20 pm
wargrimnir wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:13 pm Understood.

You did not understand my message. I didn't say I didn't want to go in the direction of competitive play but how do you get there when we get rolled over our way out of the sandbox?

I therefore repeat my question since you are here. Are you aware of what the gaming experience is for new players?
You get there by taking advantage of the bolster system (talismans, gear at your level, potions), and making friends/organizing groups.

The experience depends on the expectation of the new player. If they're not coming into a competitive pvp game with the mindset that they need to optimize their experience and play in groups, then they're going to have a worse experience. Yes we are aware of that, it's by design. There are far better games out there for a solo casual hero fantasy experience.

Ads
elchooki

Post#9 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:37 pm

wargrimnir wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:24 pm
You get there by taking advantage of the bolster system (talismans, gear at your level, potions), and making friends/organizing groups.

The experience depends on the expectation of the new player. If they're not coming into a competitive pvp game with the mindset that they need to optimize their experience and play in groups, then they're going to have a worse experience. Yes we are aware of that, it's by design. There are far better games out there for a solo casual hero fantasy experience.

Who mentioned a solo experience? not me anyway.

I want to play in a group, I want to enjoy a world that I like. But I don't want to be run over all the time. My testimony is real feedback. For 10 days, my friends and I have not been able to play because opposite, we feel that the balance of power is not the same.

I will not exchange more. These answers show me that your goal is not to make new players want to invest time in this game.

We could summarize by we have been there for years, suffer and if that does not suit you you are free to make your choice and go. I think that that's too bad.

Thank you for your answers.

wargrimnir
Head Game Master

Post#10 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:50 pm

elchooki wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:37 pm
Who mentioned a solo experience? not me anyway.

I want to play in a group, I want to enjoy a world that I like. But I don't want to be run over all the time. My testimony is real feedback. For 10 days, my friends and I have not been able to play because opposite, we feel that the balance of power is not the same.

I will not exchange more. These answers show me that your goal is not to make new players want to invest time in this game.

We could summarize by we have been there for years, suffer and if that does not suit you you are free to make your choice and go. I think that that's too bad.

Thank you for your answers.
The balance of power between someone just starting the game and someone who has invested hundreds of hours into a character is not the same. Your character grows with the time you invest into it. I'm not really sure what to make of your feedback, because it sounds like you want a parity-based pvp experience and that's not something WAR has ever offered.