Recent Topics

Ads

Fixing Fundamental Reward Problem

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
Garamore

Re: Fixing Fundamental Reward Problem

Post#41 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:38 pm

rejndjer wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:45 am
Cyrylius wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:13 am Open rvr is fun because it introduces an element of tactics into the game, gives a better organized group a chance to outmanouevre a less organized one and kite when under too much pressure. In other words it rewards smart play and good decisions in addition to numbers and gear.
if this is true, then why is everyone crying about "zerg" whole time?
Because we would like more random fights than who has the biggest blob wins.

A lot of the tools that used to be in the game that allowed you to survive (or even have a fighting chance to get kills before being overwhelmed) have been removed. If a warband leader starts off and runs as a 60+ blob there isn't much you can do as just 24 so both sides blob up.
Garamore - Chosen Garamar - Marauder Garachop - Choppa Garamor - Slayer

Warband leader for Hand of Blood

https://www.twitch.tv/therealgaramore

Ads
waerter

Post#42 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:02 pm

So if the only thing that really interests the "big" zergleaders is the fight then my suggestion would be:
- copy Praag
- create another pairing with Praag-LotD
- Leave this pairing open permanently
- Perform an extra killboard statistic for this pairing.

Then the zerg fans can let off steam there as often and as long as they want. And the rest of us may be able to enjoy the game again with Smallscale, Castle Siege, BO-Fights, and other things which where in the original design of this game away from 48+ vs 6-Zergrush or Warcamp-Spawncamping.

The problem as I see it is that this current way of playing in addition to the "difficult" balancing leads to the fact that there are constantly less active players.
The reaction to this development is apparently to limit the game possibilities more and more in order to meet the desire for "big" fights. Unfortunately, this is accelerating this trend.
The most recent example of this, in my opinion, is the changes to the SC reward.

I think it would be important to reverse this trend and make this game more accessible again for casual and small-scale players. This and a "fair" rebalancing of the classes would change some of the current dynamic for the better.

And for me, it's not just a theoretical thing. I played the game on the live server Drakenwald and have been here intermittently since 2016. I'm now in the third guild, as my previous guilds died out for that very reason. And these were all players who knew the game from Live and wanted to roam as a 6-18 person group or play SCs.

Garamore

Post#43 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:38 pm

You can do that now - theres more than 1 rvr zone open question is why dont you.

waerter

Post#44 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:01 pm

We do. We roam. We fight. We tap BOs. We run Sups. We spawn Ram. We getting flamed that we are destroying the Zerg expierience. We siege. We open the Door. Then comes the Zerg. Wipes everything and goes back to Praag.
The Zerg makes shure that only Zerging exists. And if nothing changes only zergers will exists at this server in the future.

Garamore

Post#45 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:26 pm

If you get the ram you will summon the zerg. Lots of people love a funnel as its easy rps.

The real fix would be to make the keeps less important. Now the campaign is meaningless and most people dont care whos ahead in forts you could make them easier to take and make it easier to lock without taking keep so that in prime time this is more possible.

That way you can small scale and cap bos and we can rvr without boring interruptions.

waerter

Post#46 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:44 pm

The Thing is, I would like having interesting keep sieges. I would like to have a campaign which isn't meaningless. I would like an game where Small Scale and Zerg are both parts of it and can coexist.
And the sad part is: We had this. We had 3 open zones at the same time. We had no SOR so both sides needed scouting and you could do a sneaky siege. We had a campain where keeps and forts where important. Yes the keep fights can be boring but instead of fixing that issue the game has been shrunk to a state where most things which made it unique are insignificant now.
And I think that's an extreme pity.

Cyrylius

Post#47 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:57 pm

If I can score kills with ST magus then same should be possible with fester.

People cry about the zerg for the same reason the cry about sieges, zerg vs zerg boils down to math and leaves little space for anything more complicated than that
RoR doesnt deserve being taken seriously.

Uchoo

Post#48 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:21 pm

I agree that the combat is the core of the game.

To that effect, I believe every RvR objective should directly interact with the combat. If you hold Martyr's Square in Praag, perhaps it gives that side an extra action button that gives them a large personal shield for 20 seconds on a 2 minute Cooldown. If you hold Armoury, perhaps it gives that faction access to Napalm flyers, allowing them to fly over the battlefield and drop damage on opponents (Perfect for solo players, no?).

Side is overwhelmed and decides to fall back to their keep for a defense? Perhaps holding Armoury for the sieging side grants access to Siege Ladders, allowing less filtered access to the walls and more interesting combat during the siege. Defending side holds Graveyard for 3 minutes? Perhaps they can summon a large unit of NPC Undead Cavalry that will push from Martyr's directly to the Keep Door. That would create some problems for the siegers and Opportunity for the defenders, no?

Right now, the highest opportunity is afforded to warbands and large-scalers. This type of mechanic would allow arguably equal opportunity to small-scale skirmishers that can highly affect the campaign and create a lot of logistical problems for the larger side; blobbing is simply not an option if your inability to hold an objective at a crucial moment can lead to defeat.
"They're gonna die if we kill them" - Klev on strategy

RoR Memes
https://www.youtube.com/@UchooGaming
Check out my Twitter, I talk about RoR & Games
https://twitter.com/UchooGaming
The RoR Guide
https://shorturl.at/ouGH8

Ads
Sinisterror

Post#49 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:36 pm

waerter wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:44 pm The Thing is, I would like having interesting keep sieges. I would like to have a campaign which isn't meaningless. I would like an game where Small Scale and Zerg are both parts of it and can coexist.
And the sad part is: We had this. We had 3 open zones at the same time. We had no SOR so both sides needed scouting and you could do a sneaky siege. We had a campain where keeps and forts where important. Yes the keep fights can be boring but instead of fixing that issue the game has been shrunk to a state where most things which made it unique are insignificant now.
And I think that's an extreme pity.
Yep. 3 Zones always open, Remove SoR and Replace Keep Lord with Flag like live. Keep Door should be able to be damaged by Melee's and melee healing/Lifetap healing from keep door should be brought back along with 9 aoe cap, -50% Aoe HD's, Morale dmg cap removed/Higher. Bo's should have Champs+Hero mobs to kill before cap, lock bo and resource carrier npcs back. One true Tier 2-3 Rvr Zone always open, with 3 Tactics instead of 4. Makes Lowbies enjoying RvR. Population is easily enough and more people will start again when Fun Returns.

Alot of Unique/Useful/Fun things that have been replaced back. Keep Pounce for Order's only same with Ranged KD(Except Marauder Mutating Energy) WL should be able to pounce Mid-Air, Pets should get all Grp heals/buffs. Kotbs 2H Vigi/Destroy Confidence/Runefang and Mighty Soul back. Alot of classes need this so not gonna list more of them.

2s ICD of Kisses,Covenants,Bw/Sorc buffs and all else changed to 05s ICD. Give 66dps 1h and 100dps 2H Royal Wpns with alot more procs than RoR currently has. Nerf Anticrit + Bring Back HUGE amounts of Crit that RoR took away. 7% Crit Staffs, 4% Crit talisman on Shoulders. 4-pc bonus on Ruin/Anni/Merce 5% Critical and 5-pc would be +2 Mastery points. Remove +2 Mastery points from Sove/Warlord its super OP or Useless and doesnt belong on high end gear.

And about GCD change " The GCD on both AoR and RoR is 1.15 seconds. We know this is the case because the client allows abilities to be used 1.15s into the displayed 1.5s GCD as long as you get your timing right. If you invoke the ability too early, it will be blocked until the 1.5s GCD is up.

We previously had the server enforce the 1.5s GCD hard, and it resulted in client casts being cancelled." That is how it worked live, in RoR you could spam skills and get 1.15s GCD but no AP Tick. If you waited 1.5s You get Ap tick between casts.

That GCD system is so much better! And Slower GCD with 2s ICD on procs favours Current over the top Defensive vs Dmg meta. In 6v6 Good teams, No one will ever die. At least make GCD 1.25s.

Now in a time if you only do Sc's to Lvl Up you Will be Lvl40 RR3x which is just so stupid. Make Deva/Duelist Rank 22/22rr. Anni/Merce/Ruin r31/29rr. Red-Eye lvl 30-33. Conqueror/Dominator Rank 36-40/rr 35.

And when you ding 40, you should really just get instant rr58 and Full Vanq or Oppressor set and Subjugator+rr45 Wpns. Or just Bolster under rr58 to Lvl 41 or 42 in T4. Very few New, or even Older players want to log in when all chars are leveled to r40rr3x just doing PvP. Cant reroll forever to do T2-3 Scs.
"To clarify, me asking to developers to go test their own changes is not sign of toxicity or anger, but a sign of hope that the people punching in the numbers remain aware of potential consequences and test their own changes"-Teefz

Ninjagon

Post#50 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:13 pm

Guess what is the most LAME behavior?

To fight and lock the zone only to switch side afterwards with your full warband to farm next content (like fortresses).

You know, who or which guilds do that. These people will never get respect, fame or honor they (probably) seek...
Ninjab - The White Lion. No Destruction character. RETRIBUTION guild.
Also: Velmires - WP, Carnow - KotbS, Ninjagon - BW, Nynja - SW, Stin - WH, and others.
Spoiler: