Recent Topics

Ads

Can we stop the obsession with reworks and have new content instead?

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
Hugatsaga

Can we stop the obsession with reworks and have new content instead?

Post#1 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:51 am

There is lot of talk about ability rework and suggestions about reworking other stuff. Instead of endlessly shuffling existing stuff around, would it be better to focus resources on bringing in new content? New content brings new players or at least brings back some of the existing players. Plan for RoR was not to restore the game to it's original state but go above and beyond right? And it already has with the new sc's, cities, dueling arena, live events, weeklies etc which are great additions. With new content theres the usual suspects with Lost Vale, Vulture Lord and Lotd tombs but also could add new rvr lakes. With those you don't have to make everything from scratch since pve areas are very well made and very underused so can reuse existing stuff. For instance you could make a copy of Isle of Dead, put few BO's and keeps around, remove worst bottlenecks and other terrain that is bad for rvr if there is any and turn that into brand new rvr lake. Would definitely spice up things after fighting in same lakes for 10 years or whatever.

And for the record, I don't blame devs but I feel like community asking for shuffling old stuff around is bad use of valuable resource (dev time) and adds very little value.
Live: Daeneria, Polestar
RoR: Calmdown, Goldman, Kohta, Madguard, Magnumforce, Northsorc, Northstar etc
Youtube

Ads
bw10

Re: Can we stop the obsession with reworks and have new content instead?

Post#2 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:32 am

Hugatsaga wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:51 am There is lot of talk about ability rework and suggestions about reworking other stuff. Instead of endlessly shuffling existing stuff around
Pretty much nothing was changed in the past two years. What shuffling are you talking about mate :D :D :D :D

Hugatsaga

Post#3 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:09 am

bw10 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:32 am
Hugatsaga wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:51 am There is lot of talk about ability rework and suggestions about reworking other stuff. Instead of endlessly shuffling existing stuff around
Pretty much nothing was changed in the past two years. What shuffling are you talking about mate :D :D :D :D
Did you actually read and understood what you quoted? Like I said, there is a lot of talk and suggestions. Type "rework" in search box and you are going to get 1,5k+ matches. People are putting their faith in ability rework like World of Warcraft players put faith in new expansion. I'd take expansion any day. Game is currently good enough as it is and would be better to allocate resources to put out new content instead of reworking classes or battlefield objectives or whatnot.
Youtube

Phantasm

Post#4 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:29 am

Hugatsaga wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:09 am
bw10 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:32 am
Did you actually read and understood what you quoted? Like I said, there is a lot of talk and suggestions. Type "rework" in search box and you are going to get 1,5k+ matches. People are putting their faith in ability rework like World of Warcraft players put faith in new expansion. I'd take expansion any day. Game is currently good enough as it is and would be better to allocate resources to put out new content instead of reworking classes or battlefield objectives or whatnot.
No its not. Many abilities are still broken, for example Mara pull without range check on cast end,WE/WH stealth ability bugged as hell, 800 out of 2500 open tickets on bugtracker are related to abilities. If new skill abilities wasnt needed, devs would add tons of more dyes. Because balance of classes require easier skills editing and its about to happen people keep hope for finally fixing bugged abilities.

Hugatsaga

Post#5 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:24 am

There was time when mara pull worked pretty much like now, you could latch the beam to the target and then run away with mara to get 100ft+ pulls. Then at some point range check was added at the end of the cast and marauders complained that pull was broken and useless. At some point range check got removed and now it's 100ft+ pulls again. Sure you can fix that with some middle ground solution and I do not oppose fixing bugs or other problems but there is a opportunity cost with doing so. You can endlessly tinker with balance issues or you can go forward with new content. As far as I know every succesful mmo has taken the content route. Of course devs work for free so they probably do what they want but maybe if community starts asking for the right things (ie content in my opinion), it might actually happen.

Lets imagine for a while that in one year from now someone bribes Lazypeon to do another youtube video about Return of Reckoning. What do you want him to tell his audience? "Since last time I visited Return of Reckoning they:"

A) fixed some bugs and classes work now slightly different due ability rework, some abilities have been balanced: for instance rampage duration and choppa pull range has been nerfed and WE stealth is back to 30 sec. Mara pull range check was re-added back to end of the cast. There is also lot of new dyes.

or

B) added new pve dungeon, completely new rvr lake, completely new game mode during some annual live event (check my battle royale event suggestion), also few new classes are being actively developed.

Which one is more exciting and would bring new and returning players in RoR?
Youtube

Scottx125

Post#6 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:25 am

Engi can't place turrets in TM except on rocks 😂😩. The ability system rework is to do a few things:
1: To fix long standing bugs with abilities and reduce the chance of them breaking future.
2: Make it easier for Devs not super knowledgeable about programming or the code base to edit things without breaking everything. It also means Devs can work on new stuff while ability changes are worked on.

It's true this has taken ages, but it should help a lot. And hopefully lead to new balance patches and meta shifts. God knows the game needs it after 5 years.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.

bw10

Post#7 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:02 pm

Yeah, new classes. Some people really gotta touch grass. So many abilities and tactics, morales have been bugged for years.

Tesq

Post#8 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:12 pm

Spoiler:
Hugatsaga wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:24 am There was time when mara pull worked pretty much like now, you could latch the beam to the target and then run away with mara to get 100ft+ pulls. Then at some point range check was added at the end of the cast and marauders complained that pull was broken and useless. At some point range check got removed and now it's 100ft+ pulls again. Sure you can fix that with some middle ground solution and I do not oppose fixing bugs or other problems but there is a opportunity cost with doing so. You can endlessly tinker with balance issues or you can go forward with new content. As far as I know every succesful mmo has taken the content route. Of course devs work for free so they probably do what they want but maybe if community starts asking for the right things (ie content in my opinion), it might actually happen.

Lets imagine for a while that in one year from now someone bribes Lazypeon to do another youtube video about Return of Reckoning. What do you want him to tell his audience? "Since last time I visited Return of Reckoning they:"

A) fixed some bugs and classes work now slightly different due ability rework, some abilities have been balanced: for instance rampage duration and choppa pull range has been nerfed and WE stealth is back to 30 sec. Mara pull range check was re-added back to end of the cast. There is also lot of new dyes.

or

B) added new pve dungeon, completely new rvr lake, completely new game mode during some annual live event (check my battle royale event suggestion), also few new classes are being actively developed.

Which one is more exciting and would bring new and returning players in RoR?
The solution is live implemantation which worked like channeling; it's range 100% for start cast + 25% end check as compensation the same way channeling work. But no one want to implement it...if there was aza it would alredy been fixed that way... It more or less the way channeling were fix to not break all the times in early phase.

Ads
Hugatsaga

Post#9 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:44 pm

Scottx125 wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:25 am Engi can't place turrets in TM except on rocks 😂😩. The ability system rework is to do a few things:
1: To fix long standing bugs with abilities and reduce the chance of them breaking future.
2: Make it easier for Devs not super knowledgeable about programming or the code base to edit things without breaking everything. It also means Devs can work on new stuff while ability changes are worked on.

It's true this has taken ages, but it should help a lot. And hopefully lead to new balance patches and meta shifts. God knows the game needs it after 5 years.
If something is class- or gamebreaking you can fix the issue without reinventing the wheel or reworking everything around it. I remember few years ago white lion did too much dmg according to community so Aza decided to rework the whole class and turn it into pseudo-marauder when he could have reduced dmg values instead. Thankfully that change got reverted.

Anyway I'm not hating the idea of devs getting better tools to improve the game. But at the same time you can tinker and rework existing things endlessly or you allocate resources differently so you can eventually roll out new content.

If WoW devs listened every whiner, the game would still be in original classic state and probably dead. Theres a guy who still finds borderline gamebreaking bugs from wow every other week but yet they keep rolling out new content.
Youtube

Scottx125

Post#10 » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:10 pm

Problem with that is there aren't enough devs to pump out enough content for us to be endlessly entertained. It's not possible. Best thing IMO they can work on is making existing content as fun and replayable as possible. If they add new content, it should be content that is replayable and fun for everyone.

Fixing all abilities, improving balance/meta changes and preventing abilities from breaking as easily in the future IMO goes towards that goal of improving replayablility and fun. Obviously things have been held up since only one person is working on this and nothing else that touches abilities can really be modified until it's done.
Spoiler:
Seiigfrid RR 8X WP | Arthasus RR 7X KOTBS | Zalthazar RR 5X BW
For the Gif in it's full glory:
Now a member of Oath.