Recent Topics

Ads

New player looking to play a 2h SM- is the guide below current?

Swordmaster, Shadow Warrior, White Lion, Archmage
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use
Your topic MUST start with your class name between hooks (IE : [Shaman] blablabla)
Oldnight

New player looking to play a 2h SM- is the guide below current?

Post#1 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:33 pm

Ive read the guide below, but its from 2021-- is it still viable?

and is the SM a viable option in todays game?

I like 2h swords-- so it was between the SM and KOTBS.

thank you

Ads
Merdur

Re: New player looking to play a 2h SM- is the guide below current?

Post#2 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:53 pm

Oldnight wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:33 pm Ive read the guide below, but its from 2021-- is it still viable?

thank you
Yes you will be between a dps/tank and most will poo poo you for groups since your not a great tank or dps but it's viable. SM is probably the hardest to play though, KOTB is easier since their class mechanic is just buffs/debuffs you put up and only change if you need to for different classes/comp. SM requires comboing.

yoluigi

Post#3 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:55 pm

Oldnight wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:33 pm Ive read the guide below, but its from 2021-- is it still viable?

thank you
People will love you for whispering winds in groups

Oldnight

Post#4 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 8:56 pm

whats the go to spec then for a new player

Azhag

Post#5 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:30 pm

thank you
Not really viable before Sovereign imo since it provides you with two additional mastery points that let you pick WW along with the channeling skill. Before that you'll have to sacrifice either utility or damage. And two-handed tanks have much less survivability in RvR in general which is especially feels with low gear. Mostly depends on the content you plan to play.

Asmunder — 83+ IB
Asmundor — 82+ Chosen
Asmundus — 78+ KotBS
Asmundarion — 75+ SM
Asmundag — 73+ BO

And lots of other Asmund* toons.

Aethilmar

Post#6 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 5:13 am

As noted, 2H SM won't "feel good" as a tank or sorta-dps until Sov gear because you can't get Whispering Wind and Ether Dance.

That said, if you want to be a 2H tank (or even just in general), you are going to worry about climbing the Hoeth tree up to WW, PoH and CW first anyway. After that nobody really cares and you can 2H all you want.

Dazzling Strike hits pretty hard for a tank ability or you can use Blurring Shock to give your real dps a little extra oomph. And, of course, you will have WoDS which is the oh-crap button that makes you decent at guarding (as long as you don't get interrupted).

And then, one magical day, you will get to 6+ Off Sov and be able to use WW to chain multiple ED together and healers will still laugh at you ... just not as loudly as before. But you will be very scary to other tanks. :P

BluIzLucky

Post#7 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:59 am

If you are talking about viewtopic.php?t=46385
Then yes, it's still up to date.
Just it's more of a build collection than a guide.

Dmg focused SM 2H for me was decent in low tiers (gear dependant) as you'd often find squishy targets (as long as you assist the dps).

T4 was also very nice once you got your bloodlord/sent gear mix, don't need 6p sov.
WW (5 sec cd decreaser) + ED (your main dmg channel) is very nice once it kicks in at very late game, but it's not really needed outside ranked and 24v24 organised fights, only exception being you want to make friends with AMs, but this will likely be in a RvR warband where you should probably go SnB anyway (respec is free and fast once you save your spec).

ED into ED is nice for your dmg, but you have a lot of abilities that may be as good or better (knockdowns, debuffs, crit procs buff, taunt for 30% dmg + interrupt) so you should be able to have plenty of fun on your journey and just look forward to R78 Sov set.
SM - Arhalien +80 | AM - Shaheena +80
ZL - Wildera +70 | BG - Blackcrow +70

Oldnight

Post#8 » Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:04 pm

lol im not understanding many of the acronyms you folks are putting out there-- especially in re to 'it doenst feel good' til you get soverign?

so as a level 1 starter-- im beign advised to go Hoeth path then?

doi follow that stand 2h build 13-0-9 <-----------is that the hoeth build? even though its more khaine?

Ads
Aethilmar

Post#9 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:29 am

Oldnight wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:04 pm lol im not understanding many of the acronyms you folks are putting out there-- especially in re to 'it doenst feel good' til you get soverign?

so as a level 1 starter-- im beign advised to go Hoeth path then?

doi follow that stand 2h build 13-0-9 <-----------is that the hoeth build? even though its more khaine?
I can't really speak to the levelling experience in general these days as it has been so long since I did it on my SM and the gearing has changed significantly along the way.

However, almost all your utility abilities are in the Hoeth (third) tree and I would strongly advise to focus on those since you are a tank first and foremost.

Protection of Hoeth (PoH) -> group shields
Crashing Wave (CW) -> Knock down
Whispering Wind (WW) -> Why everyone really wants you ... 5s cooldown decrease

If you are going to use shield for a bit (and I generally recommend that until like R70 but you said 2 hander), then you have access to a really good reactionary punt in Redirect Force and an AOE interrupt in Crushing Advance.

But, even as a pure 2 hander I would probably drive up to get Raking Talons (20% AOE damage debuff on Dragon Talon) as that is another valuable tank talent for SM.

That said, getting up to WW + DT takes RR70 anyway (or RR60 or RR50 if you willing to give up PoH and/or CW) so you will probably go 0-0-13 while filling in Khaine afterwards until I could swap back to the WW + DT build for the drive to 6 piece Sovereign.

Anyway, that is what I'd do if I were levelling again and wanting to go 2H all the way. Your mileage may vary and I'm sure others have other opinions on the matter. :)

Oldnight

Post#10 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:34 am

ty---

a few more questions

1. is there a 'stick' melee feature?

IE i target, hit and auto run/atk the target?

2. i was reading another SM guide

viewtopic.php?t=48552

where he says to do the NOTHING IN VAIN QUESTLINE IN ALTDORF

so my question is

what level do i need to be? and should i jsut run straight to altdorf?