Recent Topics

Ads

WE-WH : Shadow prowler skill cost

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
francomes

Re: WE-WH : Shadow prowler skill cost

Post#21 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:33 pm

Absinth wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:20 pm
Hugatsaga wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:56 pm [..] while target of WE/WH has same outcome 99% of the time: stealth class jumps them out of nowhere.
If wh/we engage on me and they loose the difference between current change and the past changes is that at 30AP they are able to be stealthed only 6s max where before they could do it for 10s, 40% longer. 6s gives me higher chance to pursue them than 10s. ofc this means nothing if he chucks AP potion beforehand but i dont see a lot of wh/we doing this.
Really? if a WE/Wh feels like its loosing they will use the 6sec stagger+fly for 3 sec + summoun mount. You are never gonna catch em. Or they can wait 4 sec while running to regen ap and then stealth...or they can just pot or use beastlord. Or do this last two toghether...

The nerf just make playing them more annoying but it dosent help at all to its solo victims. Which in fact is the only place where they should get any kind of nerf, cos in all other areas they were just regular or non optimal choices...now they are worst...and still a problem if solo.

Ads
Omegus

Post#22 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:59 pm

Morradin wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:18 pm Too many people on this server are anti stealth. They feel that the two weakest and practically useless classes need to be even weaker. It hurts their tiny egos when a stealther can solo kill them. They even cried when there was no Shadow Prowler and stealth it self was just 20 or 30 seconds long.
Too many people... and also the Mythic devs. WAR was originally going to be zero stealth, but then not long towards the end of development the WH/WE were revealed. They had a limited stealth duration (30 seconds) with a very obvious trade-off: no charge move. You stealthed to get in, and self-punt to get out. Or if you were really clever, self-punt to close the gap on the next target.

The purpose was not to lurk and gank like a WOW Rogue. You would be seen stealthing up and the fear then came from who you would target with some very strong (at the time) stealth openers. Enfeebling Strike was strong enough in the early days to make people stop dead in their tracks out of fear of the damage they would be taking when trying to get away.

During the life of ROR, this has changed and they have become far closer to WOW Rogues. Much longer stealth duration, WH/WE packs ganking out of stealth (usually in high AAO zones, because they deserve the huge RR bonus for jumping on someone who could never see it coming), etc. The option for a second stealth WITH A SPEED BOOST was added. WEs gained access to one of the best gap closers in the game (pounce) with a built-in snare, etc. And to try and make them viable in city warbands they got given an anti-res mechanic, because everyone loves spending an extra 20 seconds of being unable to take part in the fight.

Most of this comes from the reluctance of the ROR devs in the past (not sure about the present) to give WH/WE viable roles and specs for all levels of gameplay and have instead pushed them further and further into this weird spot of being a WOW Rogue in a game that was not designed to have WOW Rogues, and giving them a bunch of random tools that do nothing to solve the fact that cleaving is very much a thing in this game. The fixing of the cleave tactic in the early days of city without any matching balance changes was the death of the warband WE/WH, and a lot of the changes since that point have just pushed it further and further to the edges.

I'm happy to see the start of the stealth changes be reigned back in, but the classes still need a big overhaul to make fighting with/agianst them more interactive with better synergies in groups and warbands.

Stealth was originally something you saw happen and then began to panic in case you were the chosen target. Bringing back that level of interaction would be a good start. Unless I missed something in the notes, with 300 AP you still get 60 seconds of stealth with 5 AP/s.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Endari

Post#23 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:04 am

Omegus wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:59 pm
Morradin wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:18 pm Stealth was originally something you saw happen and then began to panic in case you were the chosen target. Bringing back that level of interaction would be a good start. Unless I missed something in the notes, with 300 AP you still get 60 seconds of stealth with 5 AP/s.
Ah yes on live I would see a flash on my screen and know a we/wh was coming for me, on my Sorc I'd be counting down to when I should aoe root and hope that would buy me enough time to get a disarm off. Hope to survive the kd and maybe m1 punt would be up and I could get enough space to either kill them or get to safety. You know, game play, not this never even had a chance to see them garbage we have had on RoR.

Hugatsaga

Post#24 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:03 pm

Omegus wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:59 pm Too many people... and also the Mythic devs. WAR was originally going to be zero stealth, but then not long towards the end of development the WH/WE were revealed. They had a limited stealth duration (30 seconds) with a very obvious trade-off: no charge move. You stealthed to get in, and self-punt to get out. Or if you were really clever, self-punt to close the gap on the next target.
Good thing they changed it then or Wotlk would have smoked Warhammer online even faster and harder than it did. Theres certain percentage of mmo players who play stealth classes in every mmo and enjoy playing solo/ultra small scale and gank people, that's their endgame and most fun way to play the game. Letting them have their fun may cause slight inconvience for gank victims but is worth it imo.
Omegus wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:59 pm The purpose was not to lurk and gank like a WOW Rogue. You would be seen stealthing up and the fear then came from who you would target with some very strong (at the time) stealth openers. Enfeebling Strike was strong enough in the early days to make people stop dead in their tracks out of fear of the damage they would be taking when trying to get away.
Opener damage is obviously nerfed now which is fine. But lurking and ganking has always been a thing. My problem with shorter stealth it is just more stationary camping which I'm not fan of. As long as I can remember (I played both WE and WH in live, soloed around 50% of the time) ganking often goes like this: 1) select path where you think enemies are coming through 2) hide behind cliff/tree/rock/wall/under bridge/bush 3) pan camera so you can see whos coming 4) stealth before they come in tab target range 5) jump them. You can still roam out of stealth of course but then there's like 50-50 chance that they spot you before and you miss the jump opportunity.

Waiting part is boring which is why I prefer long stealth so you can roam around more. Long or short stealth the end result is often same for victims like I said in previous post so reducing stealth uptime for nostalgia or other reasons is net negative QoL change overall. Other classes who solo/gank of course don't get to enjoy stealthing at all but they excel at other areas of the game which is fine.

You are right about previous RoR devs taking the rogue direction but how's that a bad thing? I think WoW rogue and most classes in WOW for that matter are fun to play, well made and have interesting abilities & mechanics (rogue smoke bomb, mage ice wall, priest dome, dk anti magic field, evoker rescue just to name few but I could go on and on). I see wow rogue pretty much as gold standard for stealth/gank type character that exists in many mmo's. WAR/ROR orvr + stealth class is fun combo. If it's too powerful you can change damage values or buff other classes hopefully in some interesting way. I doubt most people who play WE/WH care about having warband spec. Sure it they make powerful enough spec it would attract some warband min-maxers but thats it. Gankers will still be ganking (or switching games).

On a side note I think WOW handles the stealth way better than war: perma stealth & speed boost but hard to restealth (vanish and shadowmeld on long cd) and any CC or dmg breaks stealth which allows counterplay (that being said I do appreciate being able to restealth and not instantly always getting knocked out of stealth in zergy aoe spam environment that is war orvr).

Bottom line is WE/WH have their own niche and I think thats cool. I even thought anti-res mechanic was way more innovative than buffing WE/WH aoe slice/razor strike and make them some sort of Wal-Mart/discount version of slayer. Rezzing in war/ror is kinda op compared to most games and its hard to end fights especially vs bigger numbers due constant rezzing. Of course its not fun to lay down dead but having to wait after dying is normal in any moba/shooter and even in WoW pvp where you cant even rez if in combat.
Last edited by Hugatsaga on Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live: Daeneria, Polestar
RoR: Calmdown, Goldman, Kohta, Madguard, Magnumforce, Northsorc, Northstar etc
Youtube

Gunlinger

Post#25 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:36 pm

Omegus wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:59 pm
Too many people... and also the Mythic devs. WAR was originally going to be zero stealth, but then not long towards the end of development the WH/WE were revealed. They had a limited stealth duration (30 seconds) with a very obvious trade-off: no charge move. You stealthed to get in, and self-punt to get out. Or if you were really clever, self-punt to close the gap on the next target.

The purpose was not to lurk and gank like a WOW Rogue. You would be seen stealthing up and the fear then came from who you would target with some very strong (at the time) stealth openers. Enfeebling Strike was strong enough in the early days to make people stop dead in their tracks out of fear of the damage they would be taking when trying to get away.

During the life of ROR, this has changed and they have become far closer to WOW Rogues. Much longer stealth duration, WH/WE packs ganking out of stealth (usually in high AAO zones, because they deserve the huge RR bonus for jumping on someone who could never see it coming), etc. The option for a second stealth WITH A SPEED BOOST was added. WEs gained access to one of the best gap closers in the game (pounce) with a built-in snare, etc. And to try and make them viable in city warbands they got given an anti-res mechanic, because everyone loves spending an extra 20 seconds of being unable to take part in the fight.

Most of this comes from the reluctance of the ROR devs in the past (not sure about the present) to give WH/WE viable roles and specs for all levels of gameplay and have instead pushed them further and further into this weird spot of being a WOW Rogue in a game that was not designed to have WOW Rogues, and giving them a bunch of random tools that do nothing to solve the fact that cleaving is very much a thing in this game. The fixing of the cleave tactic in the early days of city without any matching balance changes was the death of the warband WE/WH, and a lot of the changes since that point have just pushed it further and further to the edges.

I'm happy to see the start of the stealth changes be reigned back in, but the classes still need a big overhaul to make fighting with/agianst them more interactive with better synergies in groups and warbands.

Stealth was originally something you saw happen and then began to panic in case you were the chosen target. Bringing back that level of interaction would be a good start. Unless I missed something in the notes, with 300 AP you still get 60 seconds of stealth with 5 AP/s.

Stealth was 100% intended and planed by Mythic from the start, since they took most ideas, class core gameplay and even some skills in Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning, from Mythics earlier game Dark age of Camelot.
In fact the Witch and Witchhunter came into the game as the first two classes of those that were not finished at release, even before the Knight/blackguard and the final Slayer/Chopper. They were planned from the beginning and the only reason the stealthers took so long was, that they were not pleased with their state shortly before the launch. Mythic knew what it meant for a great mass of the old Dark Age players to have their favorite assassin class. The only real dropdown was the change towards a limited time stealth mechanic.
But that did not mean that you could not lurk around. And most of the time the only indicator for enemies that a witchhunter or a witch was close, was the sudden collision between them when they stood close together.

30 seconds of stealth and 30 seconds of cooldown were always two sided. On one hand it always felt to be a too long cooldown. On the other it was no problem, since a duel against others most of the time took more than 2 min so you would get a second stealth opener in that fight anyway. The fights and hereby the chances to go back into stealth midfight even got longer after the introduction of the end game armor sets, where every class got more and more wounds and defense stats. It went so far patch after patch that Mythic and later Bioware Mythic EA made ALL the classes stronger with higher and higher health pools and toughness, while completely ignoring witchhunters and witches. Those two had to fight longer and longer fights, since their dmg output was never buffed to compensate the increase in enemy defenses. So, at the very end of the live server time, you had fights between healers and Witchhunters/Witches that were simply stopped by both sides because of the fact that it would never end.

The Role of Witchhunters and Witches on live were clearly defined at the beginning.
Open RVR:
Act as a scout, Solo roamer, within a warband or as the 25th outside member with one assigned personal single target healer, to strike the enemy backline of healers and range casters. Or defend your own backline
Either go around the enemy line with stealth, pick a target and KILL a healer before anyone can even react to it. Or pop out of stealth right next to your own backline that gets attacked and prevent your healer’s end.
Scenario:
Build pressure on enemy backline. Attack and kill enemy healers and casters and defend your own.
Dungeons:
Do your job as the strongest single target DD in game and have mercy with your tank to not steal aggro from him despite of you having his guard. If you wanted to clear the tomb of the Vulture Lord, without losing the dps race encounters again and again, you had to bring an witchhunter/witch.

But this is all from the past. And it will never work again. Even on live it was gone as soon as the defensive variations of the souverain gear was introduced.
Some would even say it went downwards for Witchhunters and Witches from the moment where their main attribute was changed from dex to strength. While the main attribute was still dex those two classes were real assassins with a natural high armor penetration. What use is Strength above the soft cap, when your Character has almost no real source of dex(armor pen) on his end game gear as a light armor wearing stealth class?
And on RoR it got even worse, since whoever knows why, they decided to make all the other DD’s outdamage them both.

Omegus

Post#26 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:09 pm

Gunlinger wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:36 pmStealth was 100% intended and planed by Mythic from the start, since they took most ideas, class core gameplay and even some skills in Warhammer Online Age of Reckoning, from Mythics earlier game Dark age of Camelot.
In fact the Witch and Witchhunter came into the game as the first two classes of those that were not finished at release, even before the Knight/blackguard and the final Slayer/Chopper. They were planned from the beginning and the only reason the stealthers took so long was, that they were not pleased with their state shortly before the launch. Mythic knew what it meant for a great mass of the old Dark Age players to have their favorite assassin class. The only real dropdown was the change towards a limited time stealth mechanic.
But that did not mean that you could not lurk around. And most of the time the only indicator for enemies that a witchhunter or a witch was close, was the sudden collision between them when they stood close together.
Mythic had been very vocal about not wanting DAOC/WOW style stealth in WAR, and the short-term stealth was leaked in April 2008 which was a few months from the release date of the game. There was a lot of backlash after the previous public "no stealth" stance and even needed Mark Jacobs to do damage control over it. Most links are now dead but here's one I could find:

https://www.keenandgraev.com/2008/04/07 ... th-debacle

Just because Mythic did DAOC stealth once doesn't mean they wanted to do it again or liked the kind of gameplay it promoted.

The only people who usually like stealth and gank playstyles are those who are playing them. WAR made an attempt at adding a short-term form of invisibility as a gap closer tool, not as a lurk and gank tool.

Here's another good post with more dev quotes:

https://www.keenandgraev.com/2008/01/14/the-s-word
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

Tesq

Post#27 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:29 pm

incognito -20 sec CD / 20 sec duration, no other stealth charge, no ap consume
self punt - 3 sec stag / 20 immunity

how should has suppose to be from the beginning when?

you dont give perma stealth and no ap consume or low duration and ap consume, and now what? super ap consume? all is wrong all have to be redo. The best way to limit stealth but let it good is reduces CD, reduces duration and remove ap consuming.

Since it buff the class with a opener selection the CD must be between 10/20 CD and since it also stealth you it cant be lower than 20, but its not a charge so it cannot be 30 sec CD.

Panzer80

Post#28 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:20 pm

Nah. It was OP before. WE/WH had too much autonomy and no need to be near other players. You could stealth walk across most maps. It made them the antisocial classes (which they still are just to a lesser degree).
Nihrandil [SM] 84, Arendollus [WL] 83, Caelroran [SW] 56, Thaler [WH] 83, Tionac [AM] 54, Hocke [Kotbs] 51
Gilgamash [BO] 82, Kaylor [Mara] 82, Gobsmack [Sham] 63 Jockitch [SH] 55

Ads