Recent Topics

Ads

PvP/WB pug as a tank

We want to hear your thoughts and ideas.
Forum rules
Before posting on this forum, be sure to read the Terms of Use

In this section you can give feedback and share your opinions on what should be changed for the Return of Reckoning Project. Before posting please make sure you read the Rules and Posting Guidelines to increase the efficiency of this forum.
rogantano

PvP/WB pug as a tank

Post#1 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:19 pm

Hello, I have discovered the game thanks to streamers and the game is amazing. I would like to know which tank to play for serious pvp.

I plan to play on order side, so I have to choose between 3 tanks. I would like to be taken in WB, be usefull and sometimes go into smal scale roaming/solo roaming.

Which tank can fit ? If it’s better to go dps, what do you propose ?

Thank you !

//Lilim: OP is a bot

Ads
Gladiolix

Re: PvP/WB pug as a tank

Post#2 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:25 pm

Try all three and pick the one you like to play the most, all tanks are wanted in wbs/small scale. Kobs is the most sought after tank, but it's not good for soloing.
LEGION OF PERKELE
Shaman - Gladiolix (rr86)
Black Orc - Oomiestompa (rr85)
Squig Herder - Bluglog (rr85)
Choppa - Poliisi (rr84)

BW rr70+, KoBS rr70+, WP rr60+

Pahakukka

Post#3 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:44 pm

Ofc If you want to Look like a proper tank, theres really only 1 option. The Black orc.
Tinbitz rr8x BO
Daewuur rr8x Magus
Deawuur rr8x engineer
+ lots of rr50-60 toons, including 1 healer!

-"renown pinata for small groups"

nocturnalguest

Post#4 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:15 pm

Weights of your desires are uknown plus topic name and your post have quite some contradictions, but i guess your obvious and only choice is kotbs. Its absolutely mandatory to have one per party in any kind of endgame PvP be it pugging around or serious stuff.
Kotbs brings essential utility for party to function passively. You will be also able to play both styles - with two-hander weapon (2h) or sword&shield (snb), however tho those have different roles and purposes. You can run all content as either 2h or snb.
The most important cons is its gameplay is pretty dull and boring. You do your tanking stuff like any other tank, rest of things are done automatically.

Ironbreaker is incredibly not newcomer friendly, it has way too much of situational skills, different builds, playstyles that do demand alot of situation awarness and skills of reading battles from you. Playing Ironbreaker is absolute blast, way more fun and rewarding than rest of order tanks. Ironbreaker is pretty universal, required in each endgame pvp environment. Ironbreaker has no role in orvr 24 warband as 2h, so its doomed to be run as snb in all largescale content (possible to be 2h in singletarget party in competetive city siege, but SM does this particular role better). Its 2h spec shinies in small scale be it scenarios or small parties (or even solo) roaming in orvr.

Swordmaster has newcomer semifriendly mechanics that are pretty obvious. Gameplay is not as dull as kotbs, but not as cool as IB. Swordmaster is not so universal, it truly shines than party members greatly benefit from its main utility skill - Whispering Wind (WW) and here nuances starts with party composition. Taking Ironbreaker or Swordmaster as 2nd tank in party has its pros&cons in both cases (keep in mind that everyone would want AP pump IB brings while not every class benefits to same extent from SM's WW so IB goes with whatever just fine, while SM is more demanding for party composition to maximize the effect), but both still required in each endgame pvp environment. SM in largescale is generally preffered to be snb while 2h for small scale, however as mentioned above there are very niche roles for 2h SM in largescale too.

So pick wisely and enjoy your stay!

TrainInVain

Post#5 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:34 pm

IMO the player behind the tank is more important than which tank or spec you choose. You almost always have a spot in a pug as a tank. These days, even the preforms in RvR are not as class specific in what tank spec they want as they used to be.

Even if you decide to be 2h you can still carry SnB for those times you feel you may need it, like keep/fort doors, or the RvR is really caster heavy.

I would try SM for a little bit before making your decision. You might find the class mechanic is a deal breaker for you and you can eliminate them from your choice.

Omegus

Post#6 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:29 pm

rogantano wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:19 pm Hello, I have discovered the game thanks to streamers and the game is amazing. I would like to know which tank to play for serious pvp.

I plan to play on order side, so I have to choose between 3 tanks. I would like to be taken in WB, be usefull and sometimes go into smal scale roaming/solo roaming.

Which tank can fit ? If it’s better to go dps, what do you propose ?

Thank you !
For warbands the answer is: a tank with a shield and high defensive stats. 2H tanks melt in large scale combat. Knights are always wanted due to having really good group buffs and are typically 1 per group, Ironbreakers and Swordmasters often compete with each other for the other slots. Knight damage is terrible though so don't pick it if you want to have a secondary high-damage 2-handed spec.
Zomega: RR8x Zealot

bw10

Post#7 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:51 pm

if you are serious about pvp: knight and slayer alt for when you want to do damage instead of taking it. dont bother with 2h tanks, they are an afterthought in the big picture

francomes

Post#8 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:37 pm

Pick the one u like how it looks/how it plays and ideally both.

No reason to think too much about it because u will probably end up lvling a few alts and also order lacks tanks so whatever u choose u will be needed and appreciated...a lot

Ads
Lilim

Post#9 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:46 pm

OP is a bot but keep the discussion on.

Aethilmar

Post#10 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:16 pm

We should still help the OP figure out which tank to play. Order needs all it can get.

Besides, he could truthful identify with his role of ... wait for it ... guard-bot.

Thank you. I'll be here all week.